account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Z1 C not charging and freezing while plugged into Adapter

Rookie
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Z1 C not charging and freezing while plugged into Adapter

As the title says, I'm having major issues with my Z1 Compact. 

Phone is not able to charge when plugged in to the USB - Red light comes up but phone loses power. 

Charges with the dock, albeit extremely slow (1% p/ 20 mins). That's the only reason I am able to keep trying to fix it.

Furthermore, while plugged in with USB:

- the phone is unusable - keeps on intermittently freezing, digitizer seems to be misbehaving

- can't turn the screen off! once i press the power button, the scren briefly turns off and then turns on and stays on the lock screen

- when plugging in while phone off, the screen turns on - Sony logo - battery indicator (but of course does not charge).

I've tried soft resets, hard resets, using the Sony Bridge to repair to no avail.

So it seems that it's all a hardware problem, however after Sony repairs I am taken to language selection. Here while plugged in, the phone is working perfectly (but still not charging).

I am  completely desperate.

15 REPLIES 15
Emperor
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Re: Z1 C not charging and freezing while plugged into Adapter

You should take it back to the store or contact Sony directly

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

Thanks. Unfortunately I bought it in Switzerland and took it to Brazil, where I live. I will try to get in touch with Sony but I can already imagine the problematic solution to my situation.

Emperor
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

What if you get a brand new Sony wall charger or test with other cables 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

I started having extremely similar issues since yesterday. Tried charging the phone in enumerous different combinations of sources, chargers, cables, device states, and so on. Tried reinstalling the firmware (thus also achieving a factory reset). Result: none, nothing has worked so far. Not even a little bit. The phone is slowly discharging and right now I have 12% (and it's also off). It seems to have just appeared out of the blue... I suspect that this is a firmware issue, given that I started experiencing this behaviour shortly after updating the firmware to the latest version, and also given the erratic behaviour that the original post is describing. I am also experiencing, albeit not the same, but very similar symptoms.

I live in the US and bought this phone through a US online retailer. Called Sony, found out that they don't have the parts and are not expected to for quite some time. I also found out that I don't have any warranty, not even manufacturing defects warranty (which got the Sony representative very suspicious, it seems). Although, a point to make is that this phone has not been released in the US and I called the customer service in the US. I have been using the phone for exactly 2 weeks prior to this happening. Will try to contact the retailer and see what they think of the issue.

If anyone who has this issue and has a Qi pad, try charging it wirelessly. I haven't tried it myself since I don't have such a pad. It seems like this might work, since if its not a firmware issue, the only other plausible reason for this is lost connection to the battery.

Either way, I do sincerely hope that there will be a fix for this issue sometime soon. I'm not the only one having it, and this is a great device in the perfect form-factor, so I would like to keep using it.

Rookie
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

tried it with an infinite combination of chargers and wires Slightly frowning Face

Rookie
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

I'm having a slight glimmer of hope. I basically gave up, switched sim cards to another phone and left the Z1c plugged in USB +  sony charger last night. Checked this morning and phone had 2% battery. Checked now (16 hours later) and the phone is working and charging perfectly (it's currently at 28% and charging at 1% p/ 2 minutes it seems). No freezing and I am able to turn the screen off.

I'll check up on it tomorrow morning (in about 8 hours) and post an update here. Fingers crossed that the phone miraculously fixed itself Slightly smiling Face

Adept
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

It seems the battery has something wrong. Have you replaced a new battery?

Rookie
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

Yes, the way I see it's either the battery (most likely) or the firmware.

Unfortunately, Sony support is unable to change the battery for me in Brazil, as it would be in the US, since the phone is not officially out in these terrritories yet.

Does anyone have a clue on how to downgrade firmware? I'd like to try this as a final step before having to send the phone back to Europe for repair.

- UPDATE: The glimmer of hope mentioned in my last post was a false alarm. Woke up this morning and the phone was at 2%. 
Slightly frowning Face Long live my 30 month old Galaxy S3 that's still working great and saving my 21st century life at the moment.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

I'm sending the phone back to the retailer. Apparently, they will send the phone to Sony in wherever they got the phone in the first place. Sounds like a lot of shipping, which leads me to say this: why are there area restrictions for consumer products, exactly?

I'm right now using the Xperia S which is missing a couple of flaps and running Cyanogenmod. It had a software bug which magically disappeared, just like it magically appeared Smirking Face

Speaking of Cyanogemod, the only way that I know of to downgrade the firmware is to root the phone (thus voiding any warranty the phone had) and flashing it on there. If that is the route you wish to take, I can dig up some resources I used to do that.