account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Your first impressions about Xperia arc

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 131 of 153
Message 131 of 153

Re: Your first impressions about Xperia arc

I just bought this phone about 3 days ago.

Dislikes (as in GENUINE heartfelt dislikes that are making me seriously consider returning the phone)

- Known WiFi issue. I contacted sony support and got a really lame response telling me to reboot my router. This issue is all over the internet and there are a couple of threads in the support forums. So far, no temporary or partial fixes, nothing that helps, no help what so ever from support. If you're thinking about buying this phone, don't expect to use the WiFi.

-The sony software that you use to synch the arc up to your computer is AWFUL!!!  Terrible! Abhorrent! If I can't find other solutions, I'm definately returning the phone.

-I've got to say, I'm HUGELY dissiapointed with Sony. I've always been somewhat loyal to this brand, but not anymore.

Positives

Aside from the annoying crap, this is actually a decent phone, good display, very good camera (but you can't zoom in 8mp mode), mp3 player sounds great! But I'm still considering weather or not to return it.

Definitely wait b4 buying.

Get your act together sony! It's not like you don't have the resources!

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 132 of 153
Message 132 of 153

Sorry but sony dont have the resources they have revealed a 3.2 billion dollor loss in the loast year, as I have said before, the dinasours were big two, now they extint
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 133 of 153
Message 133 of 153

Initial impressions were good: loved the design and apps (first 3 days).

That is now turning to frustration (3 days) to the extent I may return phone (i'm still within network return time limits):

1) Sync does not appear to work in any configuration. I know my input data is correct. I have reset everything several times but it still does not work. Want to back up contacts but can't.

2) Can download from android to phone and install but can't download from online and install.

3) Phone seems to have duplicated all my contacts from old SE phone so each person with home and mobile number appears as two contacts instead of one. Annoying. Doesn't seem to have function on phone to merge the duplicates into one name.

Now considering returning phone and switching to i-phone. Will give it until next Tuesday before I pull the plug and send it back.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 134 of 153
Message 134 of 153

For the most part, it's brilliant, UI is great and it's intuative and user-friendly.

Outside of the inherent Wi-Fi problems (SE put your balls on the line and give us a date for a fix!) there are however a few niggly little things though which detract from the overall enjoyment.  I have had the phone for about a week and have not played with everything yet, but here are my initial moans......

1) Camera with flash in low light is giving photos that have a distinctly yellow hue.

2) Camera button is too small, and needs to be easier to press to take a photo (unlike the Neo) - the force you need to use usually moves the phone and can blur slightly the photo.

4) Camera lens is in a strange spot, and you can easily get fingers in the way

5) Seemingly unable to personalise SMS alert

6) No in-built ability to change themes (I appreciate applications are available for this, but really I thought this would be standard)

7) Battery life really could be better (conversely functions/applications less draining).  SE build this big amzing screen but you can't really have it on full power to maximise it's potential (at least for too long) as it sucks the battery dry.  Really, what's the point??

There are a few standard/basic applications I thought may have been included as standard, but there are plenty of apps in the market place for this so I'm not too worried.

Any recomendations for a good countdown timer would be welcome - preferably something that looks good, and not just functional.

A front facing camera would have been a real good bonus too.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 135 of 153
Message 135 of 153

I'm reading a lot of unfair complaints in this tread. I've had the Arc for a couple of months now and apart from the initial irritation of having to relearn a lot of stuff I took for granted I think it works very well. I've don't have any connectivity problems, either on Wi.Fi or 3G and neither does my wife who also has one. Sometimes switching from Wi-Fi to 3G on the move will get you error messages about not having a connection but it's normally enough to restart the browser (that's still trying to use the Wi.Fi connection). It sychs perfectly well with Exchange/Gmail over the air and plugging it into the pc with the USB cable allows you to access the memory card. I didn't install SE's PC suite since I have had bad past experience with it,  it is one of the worst bits of software I've tried (apart from Nokia's version) and I find I don't need it for anything. If you have a device that doesn't play ball with a network it doesn't have to be an inherent fault in the device, there are lots of settings that could be wrongly set and compatibility issues in both directions. The battery life is no worse than any other smart phone with a humugous screen, just turn off wi-fi, bluetooth and gps when you don't need them. And people, RTFM. Half of the issues here can be addressed by changing the settings..

Emperor
Message 136 of 153
Message 136 of 153

The only issues I HAD were wifi and the camera issue, but after the update, its working perfectly

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 137 of 153
Message 137 of 153

I love my Xperia Arc, since it has a fluid UI, and other good stuff xD although battery life is an irritating issue, the screen is so clear, and i think its clearer than the ios 4's xD Just bought it a few days ago, and its pure awesomeness <3 xD

Emperor
Message 138 of 153
Message 138 of 153

indeed it is, if you haven't updated to 2.3.3 you should, the phone just keeps getting better and better

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/78406#78406

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 139 of 153
Message 139 of 153

What's one word you'd use to describe this device? - The Magnet

- What phones (from other manufacturers) do you think are the most similar in features? -  Iphone 4

- What do you feel is the feature(s) of this phone that makes it unique amongst our competition. - Bravia Engine, Exmor, Quick touch response.

- What is one thing you feel is missing, or you wished to be available? - Front camera, FM Transmitter.

Defenitely Arc will win many awards. Advance Congrats for entire sony team.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 140 of 153
Message 140 of 153

My first impression was that this is the only Android phone that I want to have. It's so beautiful.

But.... when I bought it the trouble begun.

After starting the phone it was even slower then my iPhone 3g. When I tried to call someone and pressed the phone app, the screen went black and after 5 seconds the app started. This also happened with other apps. Battery was empty within 4 hours, and it was only in standby mode.

I wished I never bought this phone.....Angry Face

That was my first and second impression....

After reading a lot on the internet if there where people with the same problems, I reinstalled the firmware (had to find a Windows computer) and now this phone is amazing!!!

Never had a phone that is so fast reacting when scrolling, starting apps, etc..

Battery power is much better. Yesterday I forgot the USB cable at my work, so had to leave it without loading the whole night and still about 60% after 10 hrs.

Wished that this amazing phone was like this when I unpacked it, but I almost forgot what it was like the first days.Slightly smiling Face

Leo