account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Your first impressions about Xperia arc

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 151 of 153
Message 151 of 153

Re: Your first impressions about Xperia arc

though it was a really good phone... but just a few days after i bought it, pictures and videos were not showing on my phone. it's just a blank area when i try to open my gallery. i had to do a master reset

then, just earlier, it had it's first reboot by itself.. i'm afraid it might have the same factory defect that x10 has... manufacturer issue wherein it will lead to having the motherboard replaced. i just hope i'm wrong.i just bought this phone 2 wks ago.

Highlighted
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 152 of 153
Message 152 of 153

Hi Martha,

My last phone until a week ago was a Nokia N97, a positive "heavyweight" compared with my Arc! Notes by comparison are:

Getting started - Nokia was more intuitive, and had a quick-start guide & full user guide which IS useful. Your quick-start guide was poor & there was no manual. On-line help assumes you have got the phone working to a point where you can access and use the on-line help & support pages.

Timescape and homescreens customisation very good. Surpasses anything I have had before. Well done.

WiFi, networking and accessing WWW / e-mail - With my Nokia I was able to prioritise the order of WiFi, such that my home hub would take precidence over BTFON and BTOPENZONE, and this is not, as far as I can tell, a user-definable option with my Arc. Furthermore, when the Arc was locking onto BTFON or BTOPENZONE hot spots where I was not logged on, I could not synchronise or use data from my contract data time. I have taught my Arc now to ignore BTFON and BTOPENZONE which has fixed these issues, but this was very frustrating, and there was no help or advice on this.

Phone / contacts functions - just as good as Nokia.

Media - didn't use before, don't use now, so can't say, sorry.

Keyboard, dictionary and text editting - more options with the Nokia and I chose that phone for it's natural QWERTY keyboard, though the downside was the bulk that went with that. With fat finger ends as I have the touch screen of my Arc is having to correct a lot of mistakes and I am having to apologise for a lot of really daft text & e-mail messages that have gone out recently because I have missed some auto-correction. I do touchtype very fast and use most of my fingers so sometimes I don't see well what is being typed. The correct word may appear right up until the very last letter (and space) at which point the word gets changed into a completely different one.

Calendar / Diary functions - I am used to using a version of Calendar in MS Outlook on my PC and synchronising it with my portable devices - three Compaq / HP iPaqs, a Motorola RAZR and, most recently the Nokia N97. All of these have worked perfectly with daily, weekly, fortnightly, three-weekly and monthly appointments, but now that I have to sync the extra component of Gmail Calendar, albeit useful as an extra back-up source, and alternative on-line calendar that I didn't previously have, the trio of calendars are corrupting one another, particularly with the less standard fortnighly, three-weekly and monthly meetings, which I cannot now use. Instead I am having to build these into my calendars as individual non-recurring events.

PC sync tools - Nokia PC suite much more comprehensive. Able to send text messages, create & edit contacts, sync (all or part of full sync), and perform full or partial back ups to PC. I do not feel as confident with crash / restore with my Arc, as the "back-up" that is done is very limited. Nokia's software could restore a full factory set N97 to a fully customised last back up, with all of your data within about 10 minutes (I know 'cos I did it), where I think I would have to re-build manually all the customisation on the Arc.

Sony Ericsson Sync - can't get it to work. I have set up my account both online and on my Arc, I have "sync'ed" from my phone several times, but every time I do this the online account does not recognise that I have synchronised, and there is no content backed up. When I am synchronising from my phone, the contacts, calendar and bookmarks complete synchronisation in about 1 second per item, suggesting that they are each not synchronising any content.

File Manager - returns an error message saying it cannot locate Pexplorer.exe. Owing to the synchronisation problems above I am reluctant to re-install just to fix this.

On balance there's more right with the phone than wrong with it. It's a lot more sleak and sophisticated than the Nokia. I hope I can get used to it because there's a lot to like, and I think it's a nicer look and feel than the iPhone, the obvious phone you have postioned it against. I'm on a 2-year contract with this phone, so I hope you can improve the PC intefacing significantly during that time or you'll be hearing from me often!

I'm in my honeymoon period with it at the moment and all is not yet well. We haven't bonded.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Peter

Emperor
Message 153 of 153
Message 153 of 153

you can find most of the answers here using the Xperia Arc User Guide (manual)

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/974/537/1301317778/LT15i__UG_EN_1248-1713_2.pdf

to sync your phone w/ a PC use my phone explorer

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/

don't bother syncing with Sony Ericsson, it has been down and there are a lot of issues with it, sync with google (contacts, calendar, etc)

and there are thousands of apps that you can find to do pretty much anything you need on the market

market.android.com

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)