account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XperiaZ Overheated and exploded in my ear (Screen cracked from inside out)

Visitor
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

XperiaZ Overheated and exploded in my ear (Screen cracked from inside out)

Hello all,

I pre-ordered my Xperia Z back in February. I had my phone less than 3weeks when one day it was on charge, I took it off charge to answer a call, seconds later i felt burning on my cheek and then heard a crunch in my ear.

My xperia Z screen shattered due to the heat. I had it sent off directly to Sony engineers who told me It would cost me £218 to replace it.

I refused due to this.  A few weeks later I got told it should not have gone for normal repair but been looked at as a matter of health and safety.

It has now been sent to Tokyo for investigation and I have been told if they "think" its not under warranty I will not get a phone back. (but i can however pay for the dismantled parts to be courier'd back to myself)

Im now waiting to hear back from them but thinking of legal action as this could have been my 9year old daughter it happened to.

I know this is happening to a few others also. how many though?

Anth

8 REPLIES 8
Visitor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: XperiaZ Overheated and exploded in my ear (Screen cracked from inside out)

This is the quotation i received from Sony, but then told to Ignore it as it was an error and i shouldnt have received it..

repair quotation.jpg

Genius
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

A strange story - pity you didn't take pictures to post here or maybe u did. I would have been inclined to investigate this issue through an independent agency or the agency that tests and approves devices for use in your country, do you honestly think that Sony will admit if they decide your story has merit - personally I don't understand how this could happen, let's see a picture

regardless I hope it works  out,  come back and let us know

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

I'm sorry to hear.

I checked and your phone has been received and your local support team will contact you as soon as they have any new details regarding this.

Visitor
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

my z1s did this in my pocket and now im being told that it was my fault but was ask to mail it in mine was cracked in 3 places when i took it out my pocket and really hot its crazy i puchased this phone at full retal because it was suppose to be amazing wishing i would have got the s4 active

Visitor
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Mine luckily exploded when it was charging. I even have a screen protector on, and all pieces have remained there. However, Sony had the nerve to say it was my mistake. The only way this could have happened would be if I smashed it with a hammer! So I guess it is about time to teach them the power of social media and freedom of speech Slightly smiling Face

After a Minipro below expectations and an Xperia S whose microphone was not working and later on the speaker did not, now this. How much more needs to happen to turn me against any Sony product ever again? One very loyal customer down, Sony

One time poster
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

They are a great phone.....on paper. User friendly for day to day as a mobile unit they are a piece of crap. I have more come across my workbench than iphones. Sony are weak and not made for the rigours of normal daily situations. Anyone who has one should in my opinion sell it and get something else
One time poster
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Same story here! I had this phone for a year and tbh it is poorly made-even a card cover fell off:/

But as I'm not too picky I use phone as long as it works.

Yesterday back cover shattered during charging. Phone was do hot you could fry eggs on it.
I do have insurance but hey-I won't pay for it! When I dropped ny iphone I paid for replacement but in this case I won't.
Let's see what manager from sony will say tomorrow.

Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

what !!! sony and explode ?! :| what a joke !!! could be a factory issues after lunch but it dosn't explode after 3 years !!!! anyway i can say to those guys send replay after 3 years : nice jokes ! :| 

at final explode is apple and samsung's furture ! not sony !