account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Xperia privilege , free movies not opening

One time poster
Message 1 of 18
Message 1 of 18

Xperia privilege , free movies not opening

Hi, I hav a new z1 , love it, easy to use ! But , after downloading the free 5 movies from sony privilege I try to play any of them and it says " can't open file " , have tried again and again , no luck. Any ideas please ? Thanks Slightly smiling Face
17 REPLIES 17
Adviser
Message 2 of 18
Message 2 of 18

Re: Xperia privilege , free movies not opening

I would love to know the answer for this as well. When I try to download movies only small file downloads even though next do "Download" button it says 1100Mb or whatever. Tried  through the phone, pc, haven't tried through ps3 yet but I doubt it will work. If someone who knows the answer could reply here.

Commissioner
Message 3 of 18
Message 3 of 18

What format are the movies? If they are mkv or avi or anyhting of the such download another player like MX player and this should take care of it... try it and let me know. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad

Don't forget to give Kudos and / or mark the correct answer.
Adviser
Message 4 of 18
Message 4 of 18

The file are in format .xpd. That is the first time come into contact with such a file. Tried to open it on pc, phone and nothing. Didn't work. Couldn't find a program that will open it either.

Message 5 of 18
Message 5 of 18

i found the download process confusing... it seems first you download the thumbnails for the selection of movies available. Then on the Video Unlimited home screen using the 3 horizontal square icon in the top right corner you select "My Collection" You can then download the different movies one at a time... hopefully you have an sd card for storage space Slightly smiling Face

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 18
Message 6 of 18

Are you using an sd card?
I used a 64gb exFAT sd Class 10 and they seem to corrupt. Can't play, can't open.
It's really ruining the experience of a new Xperia.
Makes it seem cheap.

Adept
Message 7 of 18
Message 7 of 18

Try to delete the movies file you downloaded and re-download.  Or uninstall the movies app and re-install then re-download the movie again. That what the SONYMobile SG ppl here advised us to do for those that the same problems.

Arc_S > XPERIA SP > XPERIA Z1 > XPERIA Z1C
Inhabitant
Message 8 of 18
Message 8 of 18

I did all of the above fixes. And no improvement.
The card is not damaged - I ran the checks on my computer for lost or damaged sectors.
I reloaded movies, but then they slowly corrupt.
I wonder if it is software, or hardware like power USB electromagnetic interference being so close to card, or over-heating causing some kind of problem.

That's all guessing - which is rubbish when dealing with a "top end" "Flag ship" product. It should roll out like a Ferrari, all purring and stuff like that. Good for 2 years - no worries.

But no. It screws with our tech heads, and bleeds our wallets.

Highlighted
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 18
Message 9 of 18

Are you having problems with any other content on the card?

Don't forget to mark posts that answers the topic as Accepted Solution. 
If you find any post helpful, press Kudos.
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 10 of 18
Message 10 of 18

Yes, I had other files corrupt.
I am currently testing the out of a 16GB Sony UHS1 40MB/s.

The results are very promising. Heavy file transfers, deleting and recopying. Switching between media (like playing music, then going to movie app and switching straight to movie from SD card while music is playing from SD card). And so far no corruption.

Unfortunately it doesnt rule out 64GB SD problems, but it might. 16GB could be more rugged - perhaps the internals are thicker?? They certainly come much cheaper.

Maybe top end cards only will work without fault.

Not really wanting to spend $100 on an SD card, but I think it could be a solution.

I have seen many stories of top end cards getting roasted, but if mine works, then it works with a high end Sony SD Card.