account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia phone won't connect to home wi-fi

One time poster
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Xperia phone won't connect to home wi-fi

I own a Xperia ray, with Android version ICS 4.0.4. I've been using a Linksys Cisco WRT120N router for a while now without problem until I had to change SSIDs and passwords because of unauthorized use from neighbors. It is connected to ADSL and to a desktop PC. Since the password change I've been having connectivity problems with the wifi and phone, but it works perfectly for the desktop pc and laptop. Whenever I try to connect to the wifi using my phone, it says "Connected", but doesn't seem to have any internet connection. I have tried the following: Updating my phone (erasing all my data, which is now a waste), followed a LOT of forums (using static IP, updating router firmware, changing wireless security level, MAC filtering, and everything else on which I have no freaking idea about). Nothing seems to work, and is really frustrating because I use my phone for personal business and work, and I really need it to be fixed ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I tried connecting to other networks (malls, coffeeshops, neighbors) and it connects perfectly. I'm starting to think that it is my phone that has the problem. I hope not.

8 REPLIES 8
One time poster
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Xperia phone won't connect to home wi-fi

just reset ur WIFI router it should help.

xperia will not correctly work on security enhanced routers.

Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

If you have the two connected but just have no internet connection, this generally occurs when the network have not enabled tethering on your account. Please contact them directly and have them look into this for you.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Should not cause this type of problem but first make sure your new SSID and password doesn't contain any extended characters. Depending on your router and ISP you may also have to ask your ISP to allow the phones MAC-address (Settings -> About phone -> Status).

If this doesn't help, see if you can access the routers settings page from your phones browser. It's usually http://192.168.0.1 or similar. If that works the phone has a working connection with your router and the problem needs to be investigated by your ISP.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

I'm coming late to this, but my experience may help others.  AghaAhsan is on to something when he says its a router security issue. When I got my new Sony Xperia phone I was unable to connect to my home wifi, although when I entered the security key I got a message saying: 'Saved, secured with WEP'. The signal was 'excellent' but I couldn't access the internet. Actually it's WEP security that turned out to be the problem. Its an older security used on older modems and it seems Sony smartphones won't work with it. You need WPA PSK security, as used on newer modems. I only found out this when I tried another, newer, modem that I had lying around, and when I entered the new security key I connected to the internet straight away. Then I went to advanced settings on the Xperia and saw it was now on WPA PSK security, where previously with the old modem it had been WEP. Hope all this is making sense.

You can check the security settings of your modem by entering the IP address in the address bar of your PC/laptop.  You can usually find the IP address by googling it.  However, I don't think it's possible to change from WEP to WPA PSK if you have an older modem, as it won't be enabled for it. So you may need a new modem Slightly frowning Face

One time poster
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

just go into your modem's setting from right through your browser by typing your i.p adress na all
then just click on Interface....then click on wifi then just reload the page n save it agin :-)

i hope it will work for you

Bcoz it works for me all the time :-)

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

If doesn't work, what can I do? How can I change my router setting?

Apprentice
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Hi, I have a similar problem that its driving me nuts, maybe someone can help. I have a wireless router say "A", provided by my ISP. I have another wireless router "B" which I connected via ethernet wire to router A.

ANY device connects without problem to both router A and B (iphones, androids, pcs, macs, ipads, and so on). My Xperia C6602 connects and surfs with no problem when connected to router B. But although it connects to router A (accepts password, network displays connected and it gets an IP on the DHCP range, say 192.168.1.3), it wont reach internet, and wont even reach the router admin page (192.168.1.1:8000). Ping have 100% packet lost to 192.168.1.1. When connected to router B it pings 192.168.1.1 with no problem.

Any help will be appreciated, I have access to router settings as admin. 

A = Huawei HG523t, HW Version: VER.A, SW Version: HG523tV100R001C107B015

B = Apple Airport Express

Thanks in advance for any clue!!!

One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

ive just got a Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, ive been trying to connect to my home wifi but it keeps coming up saying authentication problem, does anyone know why this is happening ?