account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia ZL GPS issue

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Xperia ZL GPS issue

I wonder if anyone have issues with their GPS for Xperia ZL?

I have a lot of difficulties trying to get a signal lock from my GPS no matter if i'm indoors/outdoors or if the weather is sunny/cloudy... At the best condition (Outdoors and sunny), i can only get a signal lock after 5 minutes standing under the sun and the signal is lost just when i was walking around. What was worse was that when i step into the car, the signal was lost and can never be recovered again. Once, i sat inside the car with the GPS trying to secure my location for more than 10 minutes and still no signal lock while my friend's Xperia Z got a signal lock after just a few seconds.

I contacted Sony support and they said it's a common problem among Xperia ZL users and there's nothing i can do about it? Seriously??! WTF?

Anyone else had this problem? Were you able to fix it?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Xperia ZL GPS issue

that's odd, do you have any intrusive apps?

taskillers, task managers, antivirus, battery apps, ram apps, do you have stamina on?

go to settings > location services > what do you have selected?

settings > accounts > google > locations what do you have selected?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

I didn't have any of those apps installed. I have this problem even when outside of stamina mode.

at my location settings, i had access to my location switched ON, "GPS satellites" and "google's location service" ticked

at the google account location settings, i had "let google access my location" switched ON

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

I also had that on my previous phone. Then i sent it for replacement due to faulty camera and my new zl does not have dat problem. U shud try restarting ur phone and then use gps to see if it works(dis way my previous phones' gps worked many times)

also u cud try another app other than goolge maps, maybe that cud help point out if its a software problem or a hardware, problem.

Do not forget to Mark correct answers and helpful answers.

Highlighted
Genius
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Hi, after i did the purging, i stood under the sun for 15 minutes before i got a signal lock. WHen i tried to get into my car with the locked signal, it was lost again. After that, even with standing under the sun again for another 5 minutes, I got nothing.

I've tried gaining the gps signal from facebook, waze and google maps... didn't make a difference though..Slightly frowning FaceAngry Face

Highlighted
Genius
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

sounds like a hardware fault and you most likely need to return your phone to retailer or to a Sony service center for assessment

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Try disabling location wi-fi.

Edit: I mean totally disabling from settings -> apps -> all

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

I didn't turn on my wifi when i search for GPS signal lock. WIll disabling it causes my wifi to malfunction for certain apps?

I've been contacting Sony support this whole time and they still didn't believe that it is a hardware problem.

Anyone else had this problem for their ZL?

Emperor
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

take it back to the store

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)