account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia Z5 crashing, no longer booting properly

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Xperia Z5 crashing, no longer booting properly

I have been having repeated crashes on my phone (Z5) ever since a recent update.

Apps are randomly crashing from the moment the phone is booted, even when booting it in safe mode. It became so bad that at some the phone only wanted to stay in a boot loop or if it did manage to boot it only showed an error message stating thet "System UI has crashed". I managed to eventually factory reset it using PC companion (btw, the instructions on performing aren't complete or don't always work. No matter how long I hold the button, most of the time the phone just boots in safe mode, but the companion tool does not perform the factory reset).

After this reset it still crashed occasionally, but at least it was semi-usable. Sony pushed another update and I installed that using PC companion, but that did not reduce the random crashing of apps (including system apps).

Now the phone is again stuck in the situation where it boots, but only displays "Unfortunately System UI has crashed" or something to that intent. Now however when I try to perform a factory reset using PC companion it tells me the phone is locked and needs to be set to the correct USB mode.

Now tell me how should I do that if the UI is constantly crashing?

6 REPLIES 6
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Xperia Z5 crashing, no longer booting properly

Hi @mvdortmont,

Welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you're facing this issue. Slightly frowning Face

PC Companion is no longer supported so I wonder if the repair was not successful. Can you please try the software repair using Xperia Companion?

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Hi  @CameronT,

That's what I actually meant.

After fiddling with the hard reset button next to the sim card slot while plugging in the phone I managed to bypass the lock out issue. While I managed to reinstall the software it started crashing again even during the initial setup menu. I hadn't even selected a language yet and Play Store had already crashed.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@mvdortmont,

Can you please try removing your SD card and SIM card and see if the phone will start up and remain stable?

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Learner
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Tried it without SIM or SD, several apps still crashed. Rebooted the phone without SIM or SD into safe mode. Still crashing. Cleared the cache for all apps via the storage page. Still crashing. Considering this is happening even after the second factory reset, I'm beginning to suspect a hardware issue.
One time poster
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

I'm having the same issue. After the update the phone gets stuck in a constant crash and re-boot loop and is completley unusable. It begins with the screen freezing, going black, the frozen screen re-appears but with lines through it and then it contantly crashes and reboots. I just got it back from Sony today after sending it off for replair but they 'couldn't replicate the issue'. Within 15 minutes of having it turned on, the loop began again and the phone is unusable... 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

@mvdortmont & @Lockie_bur,

If the same issues are occuring after the software repair then I recommend you contact your Local support team to arrange an assessment.