account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia Z4 and Sony Apps in landscape mode

Talent
Message 11 of 26
Message 11 of 26

Re: Xperia Z4 and Sony Apps in landscape mode

I've also complained to Google as the Privilege Plus app isn't working to Google Android design guidelines - it doesn't state "Designed for Phones" on Google Play and therefore should work as intended on a tablet. 

Talent
Message 12 of 26
Message 12 of 26

Well, Sony got back to me:

We are sorry to hear of the issues which you are facing with your Xperia Z4 tablet in relation to a particular application not rotating

We would recommend clearing the cache and data from the application to fix the issue which you are facing. To do this please follow the below 

1) Go to settings
2) Go to apps
3) Go to all tab
4) Go to afflicted application
5) Press clear data
6) Reset your handset by turning it off and on

Can you please let us know the results of this troubleshooting so we can look into the issue further. We apologise for any inconvenience this issue may have caused to yourself

I will let you guess if you think this would sort out this issue.  

Talent
Message 13 of 26
Message 13 of 26

Priceless.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 14 of 26
Message 14 of 26

Sorry to hear that.

I've tested it here as well and both Xperia Lounge and What's New rotates to landscape for me in Z4 Tablet so i'm not sure why it doesn't in your tablet. Privilege Plus will however not rotate.

If the suggestion from your local support doesn't help you could perhaps try forcing the rotation to landscape using an app like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.eyesfree.setorientation

That should give you landscape even for Privilege Plus.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Talent
Message 15 of 26
Message 15 of 26

Hi Rickard

One question - do you have the Bluetooth keyboard dock?

It appears that with the dock an additional service fires that gives the "start menu" functionality.  It looks like that's causing issues with "normal" landscape mode.

Talent
Message 16 of 26
Message 16 of 26

Does not rotate for me either. Are they different software version installed on these tablets?

Rickard, would you be kind enough to post a picture of What's New in landscape mode please.

Thanks.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 17 of 26
Message 17 of 26

I've tested with BKB50 as well but What's New still rotates to landscape. I also tried it on two different firmware versions. 28.0.A.7.24 and 28.0.A.8.251.

Here's the screenshots you requested, Xperia Lounge and What's New

Whatsnew.jpg

Lounge.jpg

I'm afraid i'm not sure why they don't rotate for you. Which firmware version do you have under Settings -> About tablet?
Does it work with the app i suggested earlier?

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Talent
Message 18 of 26
Message 18 of 26

I have 251.

Will try a reinstall of What's New.

Thank you for the pictures.

Ian.

Talent
Message 19 of 26
Message 19 of 26

Hmmm, the What's New app I don't understand - neither my Z4 LTE nor Z2 Wifi show that app in landscape.  Both have the latest firmware.

However, the Xperia Lounge app - I can get my Z4 to show that particular screen in landscape but what happens Rickard if you press the back soft-key to return to the Lounge's home screen?  On my devices they both revert back to portrait.

Rickard - will you have a problem with me using your What's New picture with my on-going discussions with Sony?  They think What's New only works in portrait?

Thanks

(Edit - learn to spell portrait correctly next time Jon...)

Highlighted
Talent
Message 20 of 26
Message 20 of 26

Weird things are happening here.

As Whats New is a System app, I've removed the updates and rolled back to the factory version.  Which oddly works fine in landscape! 

Then there's no new updates against this app either in itself or via Google Play.

So - here's a guess.  I also have an Xperia Z3c phone - I'm wondering when I originally set up my Z4 did Google restore the phone version of Whats New over the factory tablet version?