account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia Z4 and Sony Apps in landscape mode

Talent
Message 1 of 26
Message 1 of 26

Xperia Z4 and Sony Apps in landscape mode

Ok, so this technically affects anyone with a Z4 tablet (or any other Sony tablet) docked in some way in landscape mode - in my case I'm using the Sony bluetooth keyboard that case with my LTE Z4.

The following Sony-supplied apps don't want to switch to landscape mode and make my rather expensive tablet look very silly:

• Privilege Plus
  • Xperia Lounge
  • What's New

I know what the mods are going to say - that these apps were "designed for phones" and should be viewed in portrait mode.  But ... they were supplied as standard with my UK Z4... And as for undocking the keyboard and rotating the device... Well that's possible of course but undocking the Bluetooth keyboard is not the easiest thing to do.

So come on Sony; why can't your branded apps run in landscape mode?

(BTW, there's a contact address for Privilege Plus in the app - I've contacted them over this matter - awaiting a reply)

25 REPLIES 25
Emperor
Message 2 of 26
Message 2 of 26

Re: Xperia Z4 and Sony Apps in landscape mode

@JonC

It has been requested before, I agree with you, don't forget to contact Sony directly, I'll try to escalate this. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Talent
Message 3 of 26
Message 3 of 26

Hi uliwooly

Thanks for your reply.  I contacted Sony directly after, using slightly modified text from the original posting.  I got back...

"May I ask what issues you are facing when trying to use the applications in landscape?"

A picture is worth a thousand words, so they say, so I sent back:

IMG_20151027_170900.jpg

Highlighted
Talent
Message 4 of 26
Message 4 of 26

Nice.

I have been thinking the same but not bothered to raise it as an issue. The reason being that Sony still will not see it as an issue despite your picture.
Talent
Message 5 of 26
Message 5 of 26

Well thanks a bundle Privilege Plus ... not.

Thank you for your email. 

Unfortunately rotation to landscape is only available when your play content. 

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards, 
The Privilege Plus Team  
Talent
Message 6 of 26
Message 6 of 26

There you go. As I predicated. What a wonderful, helpful and customer focused company they are.

Emperor
Message 7 of 26
Message 7 of 26

@Ian1234 @JonC

I've escalated this, lets wait.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Talent
Message 8 of 26
Message 8 of 26

Sony have already replied, but obvioulsy you think you have more influence than a paying customer.....

Emperor
Message 9 of 26
Message 9 of 26

@Ian1234

Wow, , I'm trying to help here, there's no need for antagonism, but have it your way and do mind the forum guidelines

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Welcome/Discussion-guidelines/m-p/349678#U349678

Talent
Message 10 of 26
Message 10 of 26

Please explain why you can help? Sony have already given a response. Do you some influence over Sony that a paying customer does not? If you do how can others get this extra influence?