account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia Z3 doesn't remember Wifi

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

Xperia Z3 doesn't remember Wifi

Hey everyone!

I just got the new Xperia Z3 and while I find it to be a gorgeous phone, it has lots of software issues.

One of those is the fact that it doesn't remember Wifi networks anymore. I have to re-select the network and re-enter the password every time. Does anyone know a solution or should I return the phone?

I have read that removing all remembered Wifi networks helps, but this solution is unacceptable to me as I travel a lot and have over a hundred networks remembered in my Google account. I'd rather stop buying Sony products than have to re-enter those networks again. Slightly smiling Face

Thank you!

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: Xperia Z3 doesn't remember Wifi

The only thing I can say is to try performing a system repair as this will often fix issues - This will factory reset your phone, and if that fails then yes return your device for inspection

Switch off your phone and unplug from Pc (Hold volume up and power for around 10 seconds)
Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the onscreen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process

If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with WiFi.

Does this happen every time you try to connect to a network or only sometimes? Does this also happen if you connect to a network that you've never been connected to before?

From what devices do you have backups on your Google account? You can see this under "Android" on https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

I'm having the same issue. It's getting very painful to re enter the same wifi password for a network that I've logged into many times before.
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

@chickideee

Sorry to hear that you have this issue as well.

Would it be possible for you to take a report from the phone when this happens and send it to me?

First you need to enable the developer options menu. To do this, go to Settings -> About phone and tap the build number 7 times.

When this happens the next time, go to Settings -> Developer options -> Take bug report -> Report. When a report has been created (it may take a little while) you will get a notification. Tap this to share it to for example Google drive and then send me a PM here on the forum.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Regular
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

Hi, same issue here. Any solution? I can't get the report, the option is non selectable (grey).
Thanks in advance
Highlighted
Regular
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

Hi again,
I just did some tests: just setting off and on again Wi-Fi is enough to forget the password. It is so annoying! It would be nice to have a solution.
Highlighted
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

Have you enabled developer options like what Rickard said to previous poster?
Highlighted
Regular
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

Yes, I did.
Now the Developer options appear the second from the bottom in setup. The first option on this submenu says "Take bug report" but its not available.
Im a little bit desperate since this issue is causing my data plan to reach the limit in a couple of days.

Thx for your help
Highlighted
Regular
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

Hi one more time,
After doing a bigger research i found different workaround solutions in other forums that work for me and other users:

-Disable "scaning always available" and "wifi optimization" under wifi>advanced. Then set the wifi offand on. Log in in your network and then reboot. Once the phone is on again it will connect to the network (at least it did for me) but in the wifi ap list it will not say to wich one you are connected . You can set the "always scan" and "optimization" back on.

-Change the wifi direct name. Seems weird but many people say it solved their problem.

-Uninstall all wifi related apps. For some users the problem was an app not letting write in the Android password file.

-If you were root and lost root by updating the phone, try to root again.

-There is an app on marketplace called "FXR Wifi fix and rescue"
WARNING - You will lose all saved wifi passwords that you have because this will fully reset your wifi stuff to new!!!

I hope one of this workaround solutions helps to solve the "no remembering wifi" issue until an official update finally does it .