account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia Z1 screen protector catches scratches

Rookie
Message 11 of 57
Message 11 of 57

Re: Xperia Z1 screen protector catches scratches

Agree, really find it silly. What if I bought a new Z1 today and ended up scratching the film. I'm doomed, ain't I?

Sony says you can't remove it since the warranty is void and they don't have a replacement either. And they're charging a hefty amount for the phone in the first place. Really loved the phone and it's premium look but this silly film and it's prone to catching scratches turned me away. Also the screen is not the same as Ultra's, Z1's probably a TFT while the big brother's got IPS with a lot better viewing angles.

Dont' want to find myself being taunted by my friends for a phone with no viewing angles

Rookie
Message 12 of 57
Message 12 of 57

Agree, really find it silly. What if I bought a new Z1 today and ended up scratching the film. I'm doomed, ain't I?

Sony says you can't remove it since the warranty is void and they don't have a replacement either. And they're charging a hefty amount for the phone in the first place. Really loved the phone and it's premium look but this silly film and it's prone to catching scratches turned me away. Also the screen is not the same as Ultra's, Z1's probably a TFT while the big brother's got IPS with a lot better viewing angles.

Dont' want to find myself being taunted by my friends for a phone with no viewing angles

Genius
Message 13 of 57
Message 13 of 57

well isn't it silly to assume that a screen has a warranty in the first place - tell me how that works

if you break the screen with or without the ASF unless you have extra insurance cover it won't be covered anyway

am I missing something

Genius
Message 14 of 57
Message 14 of 57

Alexiest

I hope I gave you some useful links there to help you and others find what you are looking for

Rookie
Message 15 of 57
Message 15 of 57

I agree. Unfortunately for me...I only found out about the screen protector street scratching it and doing research. I never use screen protectors...And the z1 is suppose to be the best glass out there...so I didn't think I'd need one.

For an innovative company..Sony is pretty stupid to put an easily scratched plastic on top of their brilliant drain tail glass..And then advertise it being scratch resistant.

Had I known it was so..I would have either gotten another phone...Or put a screen protector. Now I'm wishing I didn't buy this.

This is certainly my last Sony product.

The least they could have done is admit their stupidity and offer replacements for the anti shatter screens
Rookie
Message 16 of 57
Message 16 of 57

Grr autocorrect...
One time poster
Message 17 of 57
Message 17 of 57

I too have the Z1 and i`m really happy with it. EXCEPT the screen protector was scratched already after 2 days of quite careful usage. When i asked sony how i could replace the screen protector the only response i got was" If you remove the screen protector the warranty will be voided" SONY you need to give your customers an easy option of fixing this obviously big problem. 

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 18 of 57
Message 18 of 57

Wow, not one reply from sony on this one.
That's rediculous - as if pretending the problem doesn't exist makes it go away.

Rookie
Message 19 of 57
Message 19 of 57

I have had the same issue, so disappointed to find within one week of owning the phone that the front and back were covered in scuffs and scratches (I look after my phone and try to keep it away from keys etc)

When I bought the phone I specifically asked the sales person if I needed to buy an aftermarket protector, he told me the phone was durable and scratch resistant so wouldn't need one, so wrong! I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to find out how I can get the screen back to an unscratched state so I can put an aftermarket film on.

I have been back to the store I bought it from, a local Sony store, called the Sony customer care line and the authorised Sony repair store. Everyone I speak to tells me something different in regards to replacing the ASF film, how much it will cost, who can replace it and the impact on guarantees. Sony call centre told me the waterproof guarantee would be void if I removed the ASF, being waterproof is the key reason I bought the phone.  To say the least my patience has run out and I don't know who to believe.

Sony need to make it clear to consumers and their resellers that the glass may be scratch resistant but the ASF film heat sealed on top of the glass is NOT. If I had been told this I would have put an aftermarket film on straight away and would not be in this mess.

Come on Sony this isn’t good enough, do the right thing by your customers and look after them!

Inhabitant
Message 20 of 57
Message 20 of 57

So...........can anyone suggest  which screen protector should I use??

Price is not a factor here