account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia Z1 Gaming feedback

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Xperia Z1 Gaming feedback

Hello!

A lot of people have been talking about the camera, the defects and issues with firmware bugs, and whatnot, but I haven't seen much info about how games feel on this phone.

There's quite a lot of power in this thing, and it has a 3000mAh battery (twice as much as iPhone 5s), but perhaps suffers from lack of truly optimized software. Some games feel good on Z1, while others not so much. For one, the home menu bar is sometimes getting in the way, due to the fact that it's implemented as part of the software, not the hardware itself. So, in some applications it will get in the way, cutting a small part of the left end of your game. This cut-out will be of the same size as the menu bar, so in a way it's quite a problem. It could be argued that the home menu bar is needed, but I often end up triggering Google Now, or accidentally pressing one of the three buttons. This can be very annoying, and sometimes game breaking if you playing a PvP game. I believe this issue can be easily fixed with a software update, something to prevent accidental presses. Maybe an option to hide it, and activate with some kind of a sequence, like 3 taps somewhere on the screen, or something like that. Come on, Sony, you are not new to gaming. Be creative with the software and fix this.

Now, to get to the list. These are the games I've tried and really liked so far:

FPS:

Blitz Brigade (Feels really nice with Gyro controls. It feels funny to stand up and just hold your screen and move both of your arms around. 100% sensitivity makes it quite accurate and removes the issue of 2nd pad vs. shoot accidental clicks/missclicks)

SHADOWGUN: DeadZone (This game is amazing, really. A third-person shooter, which instantly makes you addicted to it. I immediately entered a multiplayer game upon 1st launching the game, and managed to score 2-3 kills, though I got really lucky. The aiming and moving around felt OK, but I am still very new to this. An experienced player will be much better at it than me, and could have some criticism that I can't think of right now. Anyways, great experience - I recommend it)

Critical Strike Portable (Well, this game pretty much looks exactly like CS as you know it. Not that the actual CS looks that good, heh. Still, it's amazing to have this shooter on your phone and I have it installed on mine. Would make for some good old school fps MP action)

Rivals at War (There are a couple of versions of this game, both basically being clones of each other, only one is set to be a modern combat shooter, while the other one a sci-fi futuristic shooter. I honestly don't know much about these games, and I have the futuristic one installed. It looks interesting and I plan to give it a try)

Dead Trigger 2 (Amazing FPS game, runs on Unity engine. It's free and absolutely beautiful. The controls feel good, there is auto-shoot mode for the lazy, which can be turned off, and the atmosphere in the very beginning even slightly reminds of HL2. I recommend this game to anyone who has any interest in shooters! It's a must-try, and you will not be disappointed. Expect the need to have a cosntant internet connection if you want to play this. It's a downside, but not such a huge one. The game also has graphics settings, so if you cannot run it well just try to reduce them to Low. If you have a nice devce - try the highest and enjoy one of the most beatufil games you'll play on your Android device today)

Dungeoning (RPG):

Dungeon Hunter 3 (I played this game for a while, and I can say it's not bad at all. Visuals are slightly weaker than DH4, but they are still good for a pocket game. If you are a fan of hack'n'slash - this title is for you. I hate p2w games, but I don't feel like the gameplay is bad if you don't invest a single cent into it. The game is also more challenging this way. Your hero selection is not large, and aiming is probably a slight bit harder than in DH4. I take this as a plus, to be fair)

Dungeon Hunter 4 (Well, the graphics are kind of 'stunning', given that this is a game for a phone. I always pick the Archer when I play these games, and I can say the archer experience is not bad at all in this game. Unlike DH3, you don't immediately start off with two weapon sets, so you have to work with your bow for a while. I played a wave challenge, it's really an addictive thing. Once you spend your initial potions - you will have 0 left with almost no way to get more, and 1 or 2 free per 24 hours on a timer. If you want more - you gotta pay cash. So you virtually have 0 potions if you want to go on the full-on-free path. During some challenges, you have to withstand dozens of waves with the same healthbar, with no potions, in order to win. This includes the final boss. It's quite a thrill, and drains a ton of battery when you die a lot and refuse to give up Slightly smiling Face)

Strategy-like:

First Wood War (I am yet to try this. I will play it when my phone's battery has charged again, and I have hopes for it. Will update this part)

Eufloria HD Demo (I played this game on the PC, and it's fantastic. Very, very casual and relaxing, and sometimes that's exactly what you want, even as a hardcore gamer. Overall, quite the pleasant game. I will probably purchase the full version on my next salary, if I feel comfortable with the stability of my device at that point. I recommend trying this game if you want a break from the cartoony madness for a while)

MOBA:

Heroes of Order & Chaos (Honestly, I always take GL games with a grain of Sault. But this a pretty decent DoTA remake, hands down. You just get in and play, after one of those annoying 'can't skip' tutorials. There is a very decent field of view, as you can zoom in / out quite a lot. The graphics are, again, quite good for a pocket game, and a free one as well. This goes for most of the titles mentioned above. I really dislike the micro-transaction style of GL games, but no one is forcing us to pay, right? The combat feeling is good, and the controls feel ok, for a touch-based game of this type. Probably the best free dota game out there, for Android)

Sports and Simulation:

Real Racing 3 (Great driving game! If you want a realistic, free racer, with good graphics and feeling of control - this is it. I generally dislike EA, but this game does the job right. Asphalt series feel too plastic and arcady to me, which gets boring fast. The NFS formula on the other hand, works well. You don't need to pay any money to progress, but don't expect it to be quick. If you enjoy racing - you will enjoy this game. The cockpit camera view feels awesome, and the 3rd person one is great too. I recommend this over any other free racing game. A friend of mine has played about 1k races, and has reached a 35% progress in the game, if that makes any sense on an unknown scale)

Badayer Racing (An online racer, allegedly non-p2w. I played some of it, and it felt OK. I wouldn't say it looks stunning, and I didn't play a lot of it, but it's worth a shot, and it seems to have a buggy, off-road flavor. Again, it's good to try the MP on these kinds of games before judging them)

Sky Gamblers: Rise of Glory (A funny game about aerial combat, with old-school aircraft. It's a nice and fresh pick, out of a bucket full of very mediocre and bad-looking flying games. I have not played much of this yet, but I am a fly sim fan, and will probably invest some time in it. Careful on the tutorial, as the game tricks you into trying out aerobatic maneuvers, like full loops, and you might accidentally make one into the ground. The feeling of controlling your plane is quite nice. Plus, I ought to try the MP on this one. The screens look like a very dumbed-down version of War Thunder, of WoWP, but the feeling of it would be completely different)

Aircraft Online (An even funnier-feeling game, which takes place in modern-age cities, and gives you space-ish aircraft to fly. You need to tap and slide the Speed meter gauge in order to accelerate. There is a button for quick gyroscope calibration, which seems to come in handy quite a lot. The fact that you need that is not so good, though. The game feels a tad cheaper than the one above, I am not a huge fan of it so far. Maybe it needs a second try)

I must say that none of the games I've tried so far have fps-lagged even a bit on this phone. It seems to handle all of them very smoothly, even when multiple apps are open in the background, and while connected to the Internet. The battery drains fast, so use it wisely.

Please, feel free to post any kind of feedback you have with any kind of game. Also, note that all of the linked games here are releases from the official Google Play store. For more information on games - search on reddit, where you can find subreddits as this one.

It would be great if we can collect some game-related data in one place, and help each other with whatever info we can. We could create a list of games and judge how much battery does each one take, and for what amount of time, etc.

Thanks for reading. Slightly smiling Face
7 REPLIES 7
Veteran
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Xperia Z1 Gaming feedback

Nice, I am adding myself to the request that Sony should allow us to benefit from full size of the screen in games, and menu bar should be activated other way, for example fast type Power button 2 or 3 times. 
It would be really nice to benefit from entire screen when gaming.

Can anyone pass it internally? 
Thank you. 

Veteran
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

The other thing is I hope Sony is releasing the latest driver to Snapdaragon 800 with every update to the phone.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

I really hope they keep optimizing the software for Z1. I just received the newest Android update an hour ago, so I'm eager to see if there is any improvement. Allegedly, batter life is better with it. We shall see.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

You can go into the playstore and download full screen it's a very useful app I've been using it since my Tx and now with my Z1 once activated the on screen buttons are gone.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.tsorn.FullScreen it works for me should for you guys as well.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Thank you, this is a great suggestion, but it says that it requires root. I haven't rooted my phone and I am not really in a rush to do that (as there isn't really that much of a reason for me to do that while the phone has 2 years of warranty). Or does this app actually work without root?

I was lucky enough to find an app, which allows you to turn-off this Google Now thing. I am actually amazed that Android does not have an option for this already. It goes on to show that there is practically no legal mobile OS which allows you to take full control of your device. OK, I get that some people might mess things up far too often with that kind of control, but really - not being able to turn off Google Now? I will never, ever use this application, not because I don't like it, but because it was shoved in my face. Because I keep accidentally turning this piece of  when I am playing games. Because I don't like having invasive software on my phone when I buy a high-end device. So gladly, people have found a way to help other people like me, and now the Google now mechanic does NOTHING. Like I always dreamed about it. Now I just need to find a working app that allows you to go fullscreeen whenever, as I still keep activating my multitasker when I play games. Who the thought this was a good idea when they were making such a potentially great phone for gaming, I do not know.

Veteran
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Dead Trigger 2:
runs good on our Z1 at high preset Slightly smiling Face

Good controls, nice graphics, story mode. 

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

I should be embarrassed for forgetting to add this game on the day it got released. Added it now. Dead Trigger 2 is amazing, easily the best-looking game available for Z1 currently. Slightly smiling Face