account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia Z1 Battery Drain

Learner
Message 41 of 335
Message 41 of 335

Re: Xperia Z1 Battery Drain

@SergioPL wrote:

Does it happen even if you are not associated with wifi network (ie. remove network from known list - leave wifi on). It may allow us to nail down the problem or at least narrow our search.

I will try that, I'll be back with the results. Other than that I have tried with two AP's so far.

[EDIT]:

I have now tested. I let my device sleep for 1h, with the AP disconnect/not associated but with wlan on ("always on"). This time the device entered Deep Sleep just as it should, it spent 97% of the time in Deep Sleep.

Message 42 of 335
Message 42 of 335

Battery life issue on Z1

Hi, I know that there is another thread on this but there is too much techinical jargon going on there, which I do not understand, being a new android user. 

The reason I changed from my iPhone 5 to the xperia Z1 is cos of how much my friends have raved about android, and from the countless reviews about the Z1's battery life. 

I made the decision to buy the phone 5 days back. After setting up the phone and transferring as many of my original apps over, I put my sim card in 2 days back after an overnight charge and decided to use it full time. 

I am terribly disappointed with the battery life so far. I have searched forums and have done things like turning off location services, putting it on stamina mode, killing unused apps the moment I stop using them etc... But my battery still drains at a rate of about 1-2% every 5 minutes, even when the phone is on sleep. The minute I wake my phone, it has dropped. 

I am not even using the phone much. I have checked the Battery consumption data and a good portion of it is under Display (65%), which is acceptable, I think? The minute I use the phone to browse Chrome or send messages, I find the battery percentage drops quicker and the phone seems to heat up a fair bit. I also notice constant data communication on wifi in the status bar. Is that normal? iPhone never had that view so am not sure if it is normal for that to happen. I am not in view of turning wifi off to prevent battery usage because I feel that shoudl not be necessary to preserve batt life on a phone. 

The iphone on the other hand, remains at 100% for a couple of hours without touching it, with wifi on and a sim card in (I have 2 parallel sim cards on LTE) For now I am letting the Z1 drain off completely before doing a cold recharge. In the meantime, I will only use the iPhone to see how long it takes for the Z1 to drain off completely on its own. I am fine with the Android OS as it will only take time for me to get used to it. But this battery issue is a huge disappointment. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Could you advise me on what to do (if anything) without too much Android jargon? Or does anyone know the root cause for this? 

Many thanks in advance for your patience in reading this. Cheers Slightly smiling Face

Emperor
Message 43 of 335
Message 43 of 335

Re: Battery life issue on Z1

That seems like an app its acting up, update or re-install the software with 

Update Service (SUS)

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/update-service/

http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/Software%20Downloads/Update_Service_Setup-2.11.12.5.exe

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 44 of 335
Message 44 of 335

Battery issues 99% of the time related to software. This applies to any phone regardless of make inc iPhones. There are a few things you can try, like previous suggestion you can reinstall the OS which is probably best thing to do. Before this , look through the power settings to see where the power is in fact going. It should give you a pretty detailed list of power vs application consumption. Check for rogue apps running in the background. After you have done a reinstall, I few battery preserving tips I could suggest of turn auto brightness off and 4G. One other cause for battery to be really draining besides of course being faulty is carrier. As much as no one likes to admit it, if your reception is poor this will cause your phone to try and fond a strong her signal forcing it to continuously change bands and frequencies. So turning off 4G goes a long way as most carriers coverage of 4G is no where near consistent (even if the coverage maps claim it is)
Message 45 of 335
Message 45 of 335

Thanks for the advice. 

My software was updated when I linked the device to the Mac the minute I got the phone. 

If I am to reinstall the software, is that a factory reset? Or can I do it through the Bridge for Mac? 

I am aware that apps drain the batt. However, like I have mentioned before, I have already killed the apps that are open (I am in a habit of doing that). From my drive from home to my workplace (20 minutes), my battery level dropped 4% even with the phone on sleep mode. 

I have never had an issue with leaving 4G or 3G on. This is the first time I am experiencing it, albeit with a new phone. 

I will try to reinstall the software when I am back home. Thx again

Learner
Message 46 of 335
Message 46 of 335

I faced the same issue with the .534 firmware.

And thanks all , the "Settings / Wifi / Advanced / Keep WiFi on during sleep" did works!

Now I still have 60% battery when I leave office, and  the in deepsleep >50% .

Apprentice
Message 47 of 335
Message 47 of 335

so whats the best settings for wifi to save batt... both when its on and off....

Enthusiast
Message 48 of 335
Message 48 of 335

My perception of the battery issue has slightly improved now I am somewhere with stable phone signal.

Initially I was down to around 50% by 13:00 but the mobile signal in the area was variable ...surprised it affected the battery life that much but can accept when I am wrong.

Now in a more stable environment and at 17:20 the battery life is at 66% but admittedly little use today. I used it last night in a stable area playing games/music and it dropped rather rapidly from 28% to 8% after about 30 minutes of playing games, browsing the net and playing music. Which is imo quite a drop!

Demigod
Message 49 of 335
Message 49 of 335

@V8Matt wrote:

My perception of the battery issue has slightly improved now I am somewhere with stable phone signal.

Initially I was down to around 50% by 13:00 but the mobile signal in the area was variable ...surprised it affected the battery life that much but can accept when I am wrong.

Now in a more stable environment and at 17:20 the battery life is at 66% but admittedly little use today. I used it last night in a stable area playing games/music and it dropped rather rapidly from 28% to 8% after about 30 minutes of playing games, browsing the net and playing music. Which is imo quite a drop!

I'm today at 75% after 11 hours. About 2h of phone activity, 1h talk, rest checking email, social and smartwatch. 

Keep in mind that screen activity in this phone uses a lot of power. Snapdragon eats a lot too.

I can browse internet for 5-6 hours on the battery. Never tried a longer gameplay but depending of the type of the game I assume it will eat lots of power and will drain battery quite fast.

About 1%/hr extra drop when using Walkman playing from network DLNA service.

As it was mentioned before the lower network/wifi signal the faster battery drain.

If you want the battery to last for a long time avoid discharging it below 30-40%. Li-Ions like to work but don't like to be fully discharged. It kills them and shortens usable life. This battery is huge, recharge fast so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to buy DK31 charge station as soon as it arrives in my local store to keep the battery between 40 and 90% charge all the time and have the phone always ready for longer jobs.

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)
Highlighted
Message 50 of 335
Message 50 of 335

Battery taking long to charge and drains even faster!!!

Heya people,

I juz bought xperia z1 one week ago, updated wid .534 firmware, but facing this dilemma of battery problem.

As compared to my previous xperia arc s, this z1 phone's battery drains a lot faster!!! plus it takes a lot of time to recharge the phone(obvious coz of 3000mah). i dont use wifi, i use 3g network for internet and i know it eats a lot of battery but atleast 16 hrs or more would be enuf!! its been less dan 12 hrs to get drain to 5%.

Even used the stamina mode, lowest brightness but didnt helped it. (and yeah, wifi or 3g is required all the time for internet and messaging, cant turn it off during day time).

I dont know if the problem persist due to updated firmware, but yeah, sony should provide a firmware to help solve this problem.

I read the other posts but no exact solution to this problem, so posting it again..