account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia Z power off on 50% of battery

Adviser
Message 1 of 22
Message 1 of 22

Xperia Z power off on 50% of battery

I have Xperia Z on 4.4.4 version. Everything works perfect, but phone power off when battery reaches 50 - 48%. I tried reinstalling ROM but no positive results. No matter which app I use, it just powers off. After that I can't power on until I plug it on the charger.

Phone is new and I doubt it's battery issue. Any suggestions what to do?

Thank you in advance!

21 REPLIES 21
Emperor
Message 2 of 22
Message 2 of 22

Re: Xperia Z power off on 50% of battery

Contact your local Xperia Care as this could be a hardware issue

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 3 of 22
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for your reply but I think I found the fault.

I played game before and phone was heated. When I started camera after, phone powered off and lost setting for camera storage and even WiFi passwords. I guess that overheated battery after playing HD game can't give enough power to start camera, can't tell for sure.

This error also gave me problem on this thread http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/Xperia-Z-Camera-Shutting-Down-Restarting/m-p/960041#M56..., but I fixed it. No high resolution games for me anymore.

Emperor
Message 4 of 22
Message 4 of 22

That's odd, I don't think its a phone issue but that specific game. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 5 of 22
Message 5 of 22

It happens again.

I've just run Sony battery test application and it's says that battery capacity is reduced. All other tests are ok.

Could this be reason? I don't mind buying new battery but what if this happen again? I don't know what to do. Now it shuts down on 75 - 80%.

But there is strange thing with camera. It happens mostly when I start camera and look how my DCIM folder on SD Card looks like

Screenshot_2015-03-30-19-56-03.png

Forum Legend
Message 6 of 22
Message 6 of 22

Try performing a battery calibration

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Adviser
Message 7 of 22
Message 7 of 22

I tried that few weeks a go, but gives me same result. After that I repaired my ROM and it's the same.

I think this could be battery fault, since Sony battery app test gives me "reduced capacity" result. But I can't be sure.

I wish someone can confirm this: if battery gets reduced capacity, voltage gets reduced too? Because it works good until 75%.

Adviser
Message 8 of 22
Message 8 of 22

I've just read on this forum same problem with other Xperia Z series. Comon problem. It won't start unless connected on charger. Can anybody say what is exact problem? Repairing with PC companion doesn't solve this. I can't get my phone to Sony service, it doesn't exist in my country. I just want to know what is problem. If it's baterry, I can replace it in other phone service. Please, someone!
Emperor
Message 9 of 22
Message 9 of 22

You could buy a new battery and replace it yourself, that might solve the problem

Emperor
Message 10 of 22
Message 10 of 22

@Dragoslav 

I've taken apart an Xperia Z before, not hard, just have the correct tools and read and watch the disassemble guides

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Sony_Xperia_Z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNrtamZuf7E

make sure to buy the double sided tape that goes around the perimeter on the back panel.

Find the parts by this link: http://rounded.com/xperia-z-l36h/ Rounded.com can offer all the spare parts for this disassembly. Like Rounded.com on Facebook to read about the newest phones, video's and see our excusive offers, discount promotions and new promotions! ...