account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia SP does not charge

Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Xperia SP does not charge

I have owned a Xperia SP since June 2013 and i couldnt charge my phone when i plugged the sony phone into the socket(i use the sony adapter that was given in the pacakge when i bought the phone)i couldnt charge the phone no matter where i plug it in(into a socket,a computer etc).The PC companion did not recognise my phone when i connected the USB charger to the phone in the computer.I had this problem once about 1 and a half months back and i brought the phone to the sony service center.The phone could charge over there suddenly and i could charge the phone when i came back home.And they didnt even do anything to the phone,the staff just charged the phone using a sony adapter.Now this problem came back and i dont know what to do now!I dont want to go back to the service center and im wondering if there is any solution to this problem.Perhaps i should ask the sony staff to change the motherboard in my phone?i need help ASAP thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
Demigod
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Re: Xperia SP does not charge

This seems an intermittent issue and may be caused by:

- USB cable defective (Did you try more USB cables or only the one in bundle with the phone?)

- USB port defective (Did you try to clean USB socket and to move/press cable?)
- Motherboard issue

- firmware issue (Did you try to reset unit to factory condition?)

In the xperia SP battery isn't removable so you can't make tests with it or remove static electricity

This randomic issues may cause (if you are unlucky) a NTF repair.

Make more tests and if issue is the same try another repair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are satisfied with a response don't forget to give Kudos
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

the USB port is not to blamed and i used two USB bundles and both could not charge my phone no matter where i plugged it in.How do i reset unit to factory condition?can i do it even when Sony PC companion cannot recognise my phone when i plug in into the computer?I cannot use my phone and i dont know what to do.The same problem occured a month and a half back as i have mentioned so i guess its a motherboard or firmware issue.

Commissioner
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

open the back cover and you will see a little button you have to press that says OFF that should reset the phone if held for about 5 secs

Commissioner
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

FOR FACTORY reset , got to phone settings >backup & reset > Factory Data Reset

One time poster
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

sir
I have got my motherboard replaced twice
but still the charging point is loose
I had a strong faith in company
but this phone has disgusted me to my limits
plz help
One time poster
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

i have the same problem here bought it 3 weeks ago ....

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

Same here:

- phone charges to 90%, then stops but is very hot to the touch

- discharges completely, irrespective of the charger cable used

- off button reset (remove back cover) allows recharge to recommence

- back to the start again, with max 90% charge and then a full discharge unless you switch off

On Symbian phones, the battery conditioning used to be complete after a couple of charge cycles. This phone seems to be very buggy and needs a software update to the power management.

Sony - are you planning a software update?

One time poster
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

I am having the same trouble with this phone. every time I try to charge it it is very intermittent. I live  70 miles round trip from the  shop I purchased it. I seriously feel sick about this phone it gives me a headache. The guy in the shop said I did not have 14 days grace to return if it was not what I had wanted too. I feel such a mug and want to  replace it with somehing simpler cheaper and with a battery life that is realistic to a busy persons lifestyle and with a better daylight screen.

One time poster
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

Mine will charge for 5 secs then won't and will again. It's a rubbish phone with several faults. I've tried a factory reset so hopefully this works but is there anywhere of getting the charging port replaced?