account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia S: Internet working but no local network after clean install

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Xperia S: Internet working but no local network after clean install

I have two old Sony Xperia S phones without SIM that I want to use as smart home remote control etc.

I used Sony PC Companion software to "repair my phone" - meaning this resets the whole software and re-installs the latest Android OS from scratch (4.1 Jelly Bean).

After rebooting I can connect to my WiFi and the phone instantly has internet connection. All services seem to work fine (Google Play Store, email, browsing, installing apps, downloading stuff, etc.).

But the phone cannot connect to devices in my local network, e.g. Raspberry Pi and NAS, neither using native apps nor HTTP interface. I downloaded apps like "Ping tools" to try to ping and traceroute these devices as well as doing port scanning. Result: I can ping hostnames and the phone does resolve the correct IP address but no ping method (ICMP etc.) works- 100% packet loss. Port scanning doesn't find these devices.

The only device I can connect to is my router. I can access the web interface and do everything (same as internet - everything is working fine).

So I picked my 2nd Xperia S which I didn't repair (re-install) yet. This is working fine for internet as well as local network. I can connect to local devices without problems.

The behavior is like having a guest WiFi access for internet only but I'm using the same WiFi for all my devices. Every other device is doing well (I have more Xperia devices like SP, Z1c, Tablet S and also others like Samsung Galaxy Note3, iPhone, Windows Tablets and laptops).

Any ideas why internet is working but not local network?

Now I'm a bit afraid of trying the same with my 2nd Xperia S but I'd prefer a clean Android installation.

3 REPLIES 3
Emperor
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Xperia S: Internet working but no local network after clean install

@droptix

could you repair the first Xperia S again with PCC?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

I updated my router's firmware and after rebooting everything is working fine now. A quite simple solution for a problem I'm searching now for weeks :-/

Emperor
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

@droptix

Glad to hear that its working now

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)