account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia P shutting down after inserting a Sim card.

One time poster
Message 1 of 38
Message 1 of 38

Xperia P shutting down after inserting a Sim card.

Hi,

Updated my Xperia P recently to JB.Was Working fine for a day or two then suddenly the phone shut down automatically.Sent it to Service Center n got the software updated .Still the phone shuts down as soon as I insert a Sim card.The service center guy asked me to change my Sim card.I did it but the problem persists....It runs perfectly well without a Sim?What to do ...????

37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
Message 2 of 38

Re: Xperia P shutting down after inserting a Sim card.

If the sim card moves from its place,the phone restarts automatically.Maybe the sim card does not make perfect contact,so it moves and makes the phone restart.Take the phone back to them and tell them to have a look at the sim card place.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

One time poster
Message 3 of 38
Message 3 of 38

I am experiencing this exact behaviour on an Xperia P. The sim card is making good contact as I am able to get the PIN request. It shuts down after entering the PIN, when connecting to the mobile network, leading me to think it has something to do with the radio and nothing to do with the SIM card holder.

Visitor
Message 4 of 38
Message 4 of 38

I had the same problem too.This worked for me:
1.Open your phone without sim
2a(Ice cream Sandwich):Then Go to the settings->more->mobile networks->Network mode or  2b(Gingerbread) Settings>Wireless and networks>Mobile networks>Network Mode
3:And change network mode to WCDMA only(this worked for me).
4:Insert your Sim and restart your phone

If "WCDMA only" doesn't work you can try "GSM" only.
Old thread but I hope someone else gets helped by this.

One time poster
Message 5 of 38
Message 5 of 38

finally got a solution for JB 4.2.1 :

1.remove sim and start the phone

2.open android system settings by dialing *#*#4636#*#* code in phone dial up.

3.open phone information and select wdcma only.

4.insert sim and let phone restart and **bleep** soon **bleep** it starts switch to airplane  mode  before it switches off.

5.repeat step two ,now the settings there will be automatically on 'unknown'.go to mobile network and select ur sim card network the phone signal will re-appear.

worked for me aftr phn sw off fr 2 weeks.hope it works for u too...............

One time poster
Message 6 of 38
Message 6 of 38

Same problem, followed the steps, but still not working

Reply soon , Thank you Slightly smiling Face

Rookie
Message 7 of 38
Message 7 of 38

Hi,

May i know why this is happening ? it happened even for me also am from India and then I followed the procedure you mentioned now its working fine.

Rookie
Message 8 of 38
Message 8 of 38

Hi,

I have one more point, I fear that if i switch of my phone and start it again will this problem persist ? will my phone get switched off again after inserting SIM ?

Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 38
Message 9 of 38

@Deepankar - In your case if the above steps have resolved the issue it is unlikely that this would occur again.

Don't forget to mark posts that answers the topic as Accepted Solution. 
If you find any post helpful, press Kudos.
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 10 of 38
Message 10 of 38

I have the same problem and the above steps are not working for me... 

help me...