account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia Arc keeps dropping wifi connection

Anonymous
N/A
Message 381 of 501
Message 381 of 501

Re: Xperia Arc keeps dropping wifi connection

Thanks!

Anonymous
N/A
Message 382 of 501
Message 382 of 501

Thanks Johan, finally seems to be taking the problem seriously.
Thanks for all the work done, and I hope that you find the solution and can finally cross off a serious fault list of my ARC S.
The next thing I hope the problem of signal loss / coverage for no apparent reason for a few seconds.

regards

Anonymous
N/A
Message 383 of 501
Message 383 of 501

Hi Johan,

The beacon signal issue (though not sure to be the root cause), seems to be logical. But my concern is that when will this get resolved. Identification of an issue forms the first step but what is more important to me, as a customer, is its rectification.

Since this connection loss is consistent across Wi Fi as well as 3G I stand no chance of downloading games/applications that require data transfers of larger sizes - unfortunately, even those that I have paid for. And the worst part, since my service provider does not know of this error with Sony Ericsson phone(s), I have to pay for whatever (incomplete) downloads that I attempt, despite the fact that the particular game/app is still unusable.

First up, I paid a big sum in getting this phone that can be used for nothing but voice calls, text messages and data transfers over wireless networks in terms of KBytes (why bother about Mbytes here!). And then, in an (ever unsuccessful) attempt to try and do something to download games/apps, I end up paying my service provider even though I still cant use those games/apps.

My bad that I did not know of such an issue with this particular phone, otherwise I would never have gone for it. I had always trusted Sony Ericsson products right from the time I got my first K750i. But I believe that this delay (more than an year but the issue is yet to be identified, leave alone fixing) in response from Sony Ericsson will ensure that Xperia Arc will be my last Sony Ercisson product.

Nevertheless, for all the money that I have paid, I require a fix for this issue so that I can salvage at least something from this otherwise "wonderful piece of marvel" (sarcsasm, if you are wondering what it is!).

Anonymous
N/A
Message 384 of 501
Message 384 of 501

My solution to dropped wifi with Lynksys wrt54gs(blue) router.

Check firmware. Latest phone update is v7.50.8 build001 oct 5 2009. 

Since upgrading router firmware all has worked perfectly. No other phone tweeks or wifi apps needed.

Anonymous
N/A
Message 385 of 501
Message 385 of 501

that have virtually changed the router and everything was ok?

Anonymous
N/A
Message 386 of 501
Message 386 of 501

I had wifi issues too when I was a little away from the router and my signals used to drop frequently. But I tried changing the channel on my router, it was on channel 6 before but I changed it to channel 9. That seems to have worked. Wifi hasn't dropped for almost an hour now! I think the key is to get on a less crowded wifi channel. For those having issues should give this method a shot! My router model is dlink dir 655 and you change the channel by: Logging in to router first, then click on Setup (top of page), then Wireless Settings (left of page), click on Manual Wireless Network Setup (scroll to bottom), check/uncheck Enable Auto Channel Scan button, then select which channel you want.

I used the inssider software to check less crowded wifi channels. You can download it from here http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

One time poster
Message 387 of 501
Message 387 of 501

Just a simple example of how the Sony wifi is terrible.

Today i colleague had an Android phone, i don't say the brand to not umiliate Sony tongue.

Finnaly i could try a phone with the same operative system in front of my face.

The networs is an Access point with radius server protected by 802.1x Eap security.

We had the two phones on the tables, and made some tests.

With the same alternative browser we launched a site at a time, and this is the result:

my friend's phone loaded the pages without problems in few seconds

my sony started to load the page very slow, sometimes it sped up, sometimes it is blocked. this results in a wait of 30-40 seconds to load a page arghhhhhh angry with a 20Mbit network

what does it mean ?

simple, or sony loses connection but with wifi icon locked, or it loses most of the beacons

the structure of the AP is very strange, because the unic network is composed by 3 or 4 signals

with wifi analyzer i can see them, but not only, these signals drop constantly !!!

there is not a continous line and in these moments the app showes "no connection" for about half second, then again connection and then no connection.

The graphic has a series of subsequence minimums not a stable line.

The app probably hasn't a good resolution and the drops are more frequent then one on a second.

So the off time beacons is a reasonable cause.

But a thing is sure, my friend's phone loaded the page in a while, without issue.

This clearly show how wifi is faulty, and i have to no add more words. angry

Anonymous
N/A
Message 388 of 501
Message 388 of 501

I did the same yesterday with my son in law Motorola Razr.

the Razr kept solid connection loading pages for 2 hours.

My Arc connecting and disconnecting constantly.

Loading youtube Razr 17 seconds Arc 54 secondsContinuous video stopping to buffer because of the disconnect issue.

Loading Ebay Razr 13 seconds Arc 1 minute 2 seconds..I have had enough of the connect/disconnect crap.

Farewell Sony and that is for all Sony products..

Will I ever trust Sony again??? NEVER.

Anonymous
N/A
Message 389 of 501
Message 389 of 501

A-hem, first of all i must say : SORRY SORRY SORRY. I trusted too much new technologies...

Now i'm going to explain :

My modem-router is a Netgear DGN1000, and it has a feature, once you connect to the admin page, that search for software-firmware updates . That feature kept on telling me "no update available for this product". That's why i wrote "there's no update for my router" before.

I decided to surf the net searching for a solution, and yesterday on the netgear support site i found a firmware update for my model. i downloaded it, and tried to change the firmware OTA(wifi connection). The router kept refusing it. I then decided to operate a factory reset, connect via LAN port, update the firmware (and this time it worked) and restore the connection parameters for my iSP.

MIRACLE. IT WORKED. now my arc S is connected to the net via wifi, doesn't drop anything and i was able to dowload without interruption the game "let's golf", included with the phone.

so, sorry for being angry, it was really a problem about old firmware (though with my xperia x10 the problem was NEVER shown).

THX to all for the patience.

Maurizio

Anonymous
N/A
Message 390 of 501
Message 390 of 501

Netgear DGN2200 + Xperia Neo V works perfect.Maybe the problem is with older netgears