account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia Arc keeps dropping wifi connection

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 21 of 501
Message 21 of 501

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc keeps dropping wifi connection huge problem

Lol some people must be making overtime. We didn't pay money to get a phone without correct WiFi functionality. Thinking Face

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 22 of 501
Message 22 of 501

Re: Xperia Arc keeps dropping wifi connection

If they do not fix that in the next few days we still have youtube haven‘t we?

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 23 of 501
Message 23 of 501

Thank god for youtube. We can finally listen to Rebecca's Friday song... Smiling Face with open mouth & closed Eyes

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 24 of 501
Message 24 of 501

Youtube ??? - What is Youtbe ;-)

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 25 of 501
Message 25 of 501

Hi guys!

I had similar problem, the connection wasn't dropping out but a lot of packets were dropped when I tried to find out what's going on using Overlook Fing (handy ping  utility). My problem was incredibly slow speed -56kbps up.

When I changed wireless encryption from WPA-PSK to WEP  the speeds improved to over 9,000kbps.

Sure, my wireless is now not very secure but at least I can use my Arc, and it's not like I'm keeping any top secret info on my computers.  :-)

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 26 of 501
Message 26 of 501

Since I've switched to TKIP (WPA PSK2) the connection over WiFi is more stable. But I'm still turning WiFi off to keep the battery drain as far away as possible.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 27 of 501
Message 27 of 501

The most I've seen wifi take out of my battery (just being turned on) is 6%. It's all the apps that use it that cause the drain IMHO. You can try using Droidwall to prevent apps that don't need access to data (as far as you're concerned) access to wifi and/or 3g and just allow those that need it. Xperia Arc is a smart phone and I want to use it as such, unfortunately one has to tweak it in order to make the phone behave as it should because it doesn't do so out of the box. Then again how I like it to behave could be different from most people...

I don't find the battery to be too bad, again with smartphone I don't expect it to last more than a day and don't mind charging it every night if what I get in exchange is peace of mind that it won't die the next day half way through an (un)important phone call.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 28 of 501
Message 28 of 501

I am disabling WiFi in order to keep the phone as simple as possible. WiFi isn't the cause of the drain on short terms, I think I've managed that today. But because I don't know how it's long term behaviour is, well I just can't take the risk of losing too much battery when I'm outdoors. Winking Face

Edit: I think it is fair to say that - if there is no drain - the batterylife is superb!

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 29 of 501
Message 29 of 501

Try an app called Y5. It disables your wifi once you're out of range and re-enables it when you come back home. That way you don't have to worry about switching it off yourself.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 30 of 501
Message 30 of 501

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc keeps dropping wifi connection huge problem

Yep same here only noticed it recently while trying to download a large app from the Market, seems like the connection drops but the symbol persists although coming out of sleep mode some times the symbol has disappeared all together, makes transferring media with doubletwist Airsync very frustrating.  Not sure but I have a feeling it dos this on the 3G connection as well as I have managed to get the dreaded "A network error has occurred retry or cancel ......" usually while downloading an app.

I don't think this is a router issue otherwise the Belkin 54G, Netgear DG934PN & Linksys WAP54G routers all have exactly the same problem.   This is really frustrating I have been waiting for this phone to come out since Mobile World Congress in Feb and at the moment I am missing my old HTC Desire.   Don't get me wrong I really like the phone I just wish it worked properly, this is still one of the best phone SE has launched in a long time.

So far I have performed a master reset on the phone and re-flashed it using the SEUS but the problem persists, I contacted the support site Tuesday 10th May and recieved a strange email responce explaining the support center was closed over the easter holiday and nothing else since but its early days.

It would be nice if SE could at least confirm this is a known bug and give us some confidence the next update will fix it, I bought this phone sim free and didn't spend that much for something that sort of works!

Update:  After paying a bit more attention to my phones behaiour I have now seen this same thing on the 3G connection.