account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Xperia Arc homescreen and Icon reload after heavy or little work...

Highlighted
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 1 of 35
Message 1 of 35

Xperia Arc homescreen and Icon reload after heavy or little work...

I was hoping that with the 2.3.4 update, this problem would be solved on my phone but unfortunately it didn't. I once used the REPAIR option in the PC COMPANION and it completely wiped every single information/data or setting in my phone but I was cool with this, as long as it solved the problem but it didn't. After that, I was hoping that the 2.3.4 update in the U.K would solve it because it was reported to have minor BUG FIXES on the Nordic Version, but still the problem still exists and I lost all my data for no reason. It really messes me up because I'm in school and anytime I need something on my phone urgently, the phone bloodily lags and the homescreen and Icons, widgets and shortcuts keep reloading. PLEASE I REALLY NEED HELP ON THIS! ANYBODY PLEASE HELP, I ALWAYS FEEL LIKE SMASHING MY PHONE ON THE FLOOR, PLEASE HELP! Uliwooly and Slimshady, you guys should please suggest a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

34 REPLIES 34
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 35
Message 2 of 35

Re: Xperia Arc homescreen and Icon reload after heavy or little work...

install a different home launcher

Launcher Pro

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.fede.launcher&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImN...

and remember to backup everything before any future update

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/108775#108775

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 3 of 35
Message 3 of 35

it is advise to format your phone for last choice, otherswise send back to warranty.

Master
Message 4 of 35
Message 4 of 35

Jaro. wrote:

it was reported to have minor BUG FIXES on the Nordic Version, but still the problem still exists and I lost all my data for no reason.

what do you mean you lost all your data ??

i mean did you lost your data after updating or the phone itself is deleting your stuff ??

http://dl-www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/110/61/1309763183/Update_Service_Setup-2.11.7.13.exe

use this to update your phone again..i mean it may fix those bugs..just try once..and since you are facing problem of stuff deleting i will now recommend to copy all your files and folders to yput computer..

just in case it delete itself.

try the link uliwooly gave to backup all your files..

you know what you should do..

update your phone with the software i gave above..format your sd card..totally..

i mean make it as if it was new..and see if the problem remains or not..

go to settings > applications > manage applications > running services

and please tell here what all items are listed under it...

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 5 of 35
Message 5 of 35

Hi. My ARC have similar problem after updating to 2.3.4. However, when updating, i did not choose clean install, so my arc got updated to 2.3.4 and all my apps and data remain intact.

I wonder what SE did to its Home screen update in 2.3.4 because everytime i;

1. Turn on the Phone
  2. Exit any app by pressing the Home button

the Home screen will automatically reset and i have to wait more than 10 seconds before all the icons and folders are ready and the phone accepting input again! More than 10 seconds EVERY TIME!!!!

This reset is similar to when you run App Killer to Kill ALL program without exception to free memory and processor, but to have this every single time turning ON and pressing HOME?!!!!

Can SE please modify this to exclude the home screen when resetting / refreshing to free memory ASAP!!!

This bug is really damn annoying to me!

Master
Message 6 of 35
Message 6 of 35

unisntall the appkiller right away..

you dont need that..it will do more harm..

also go to settings > aplications > running services

and tell me the amount of ram used and free and what all aplication are listed there,,

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 7 of 35
Message 7 of 35

Running Services - 246MB Used 29MB Free. Apps such as Google+ Catch XiiaLive TuneinPro ADW WidgetLocker Astro Music etc etc (mostly widgets apps).

When the phone is still in 2.3.2, I will use Advanced Task Manager to kill all app excluding homescreen to free ram and processor. This is fine.

However, after updating to 2.3.4, everytime the homescreen is open, its automatically refresh. I have to wait more than 10 seconds before this process completes. This happens everytime i go into homescreen!!!

To bypass this annoying bug, i had to rely on WidgetLocker which allows me to place key apps shrotcuts right at the Lockscreen thus having access directly to these apps bypassing the homescreen which is guaranteed to delay me 10 seconds +++ before i can go to other apps.

I suspect SE made changes to resolve the common lagging issues reported in previous version by providing an automatic refresher to free memory everytime you exit apps. However, this includes refreshing the homescreen which should not be the case.

I was hoping SE put an option somewhere in Settings to enable or disable (or selective) this feature. I am fine with using either Advanced Task Manager or Android Assistant manually to kill apps when i feel the phone is lagging.

Anyway to confirm / request this with SE?

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 8 of 35
Message 8 of 35

You know what? After looking at the difference between 2.3.2 and 2.3.4, I think I know why the Homescreen lags so long. In 2.3.2, the Folders icon are just basic folder icon. In 2.3.4, SE makes it looks like iOS or Honeycomb Folder icons. I think the 10 ++ seconds is basically the time it takes the phone to rebuild the Folders Icon everytime you go to Homescreen.

My Home screen have 6 Folders containing various apps grouped according to functions (Books, Apps, Media, Message etc). When i go to homescreen, everything else was displayed swiftly excepts the folders icons. It took 10++ seconds for it to rebuild the 6 folders i have on my main home screen.

I suspect if i moved these folders off from the main home screen, then it should be faster to open the homescreen. However, this defeat the purpose of having folder in the first place! I want the old plain folder back!!! I dont need this fancy looking folder icon which slows down my phone!

Give me the option to use the old folder icons back SE!

Master
Message 9 of 35
Message 9 of 35

292 mb used,,

in 2.3.4 thers no need for the pp killer trust me..uninstall it..

in 2.3.2 there were not many features..

so uninstall it..

i know but we cannot get back the folders..

also how do you exit your apps ??

directly by middle button or by back button ??

use back button every time to exit ar the apps will consume RAM and you will face lag..

follow this..

i know the folder is the culprit.. dont know why se updates with irritating things..

anyways..

dont place your folder in one homescreen..i know it will be easy but still divide your folders into diiferent homescreens..

just try this..and when you have done..you can pinch in the homescreen and you will have all your things on your screen ( just a method to avoid going thru homescreen )

just try this

update your phone again with this

i know it sucks but uninstall all your application which you rarely use ( i know being a smartphone it should handle all but for some reason arc doesnt ) so please do..

do all of this and see if you again face the same problem..

Master
Message 10 of 35
Message 10 of 35

i dont know your phone is consuming 233 mb..it should not go above 150..

restart your phone and tell me what mb it shows..

note : directly open the running services tab..do not open any application..