account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Wrong number in Contacts, 'Myself'

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Wrong number in Contacts, 'Myself'

I know something about this has been mentioned before but my new Xperia Arc has a different Mobile Phone Number (looks like a real one not random numbers) to what my number actually is.  I checked my number by dialling back 1471 on the BT landline and it is correct, I dial my number from another phone and it is correct. So what is going wrong and what can be done to alter it so it shows the correct number under 'Myself'?

Background: Contacts were imported via SIM from my old Nokia N95.

9 REPLIES 9
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Wrong number in Contacts, 'Myself'

If I understood what you are describing, you want the number for Myself to be your correct number.

Have you tried to edit the Myself contact?

Press and hold down on the Myself contact for a couple of seconds. A pop up menu will appear. Select Edit contact.

Enter a name for yourself.  Then select + Add field  ---> Phone --> Mobile --> Enter your correct number --> Scroll down and select Done.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

The number in 'Myself' comes from reading your Sim card.  There is a work around that may help... remove your sim card and put it in to an old dumb phone, preferabbly a Sony Ericsson or Samsung (as I know it will work with these) not sure about Nokia's tho. Then via the Settings on that phone find edit own number, change it to your correct phone number and make sure you save at this point.  Then put it back in your Arc and it should read correctly.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Yes, thank you. I tied that but all that happems is that it adds an extra mobile number under the top one. At least it is there when you tap the Contact, but I'd like to get rid of that top number in the 'Myself' Contact.  Can that be done or does it need a future firmware fix?

(Looks like i have 2 accounts here - don't know why).

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Thank you.  Unfortunately the old Nokia doesn't seem to have that My Number field. I guess that SIM came from my previous phones so maybe it's not surprising I can't get the correct number in there. The thing is the mobile number in the Xperia Contacts 'Myself' looks like a regular number but isn't one I can recall using.

It would be great to sort this out and although I have the right number there in the second line now as an added field (see other message), I still want to get rid of the wrong one?  I'd be so grateful if someone knew how to do it in this situation.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

The only other thing is to ask around your friends to see if they have an old SE/Samsung dumb phone that you can use for the purpose - many people have old handsets gathering dust in a drawer somewhere. I have seen issues with Nokia not having this capability in the past, I don't know about other makes tho. I will probably get strung up for saying this but I am speaking from my family experience.... the older members of the family tend to prefer the older style phones with less bells and whistles on and change them less frequently, so maybe an avenue worth exploring with your family or friends family. :smileygrin:

I don't know of a way to do it whilst in the newer smart phones. Maybe someone will come up with a way that I haven't heard of and I will keep an eye on the thread because it would be a useful piece of information for me to stick in the old memory banks.

Learner
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

I still keep coming back to this thread as I have the same problem and eagerly await a solution.

One time poster
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

I tried the EE shop and they said to reset the factory settings, which didn't work.  Had to put my sim into my old iphone, which lets you edit the phone number and then back into my sony Z2. Thankfully it has fixed it and it is now showing the correct number.  Just wish i had tried that before listening to EE.

One time poster
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

thank you, thank you and once more. you saved me from going to the store service. great advice and it worked on a very old samsung phone Slightly smiling Face

Learner
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Only thing that would work for me, thanks for the info!! Slightly smiling Face

Only way to do it was as suggested above, is use a very old phone and go into own number and change it Slightly smiling Face