account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

WiFi Probelm (Can't see network when every other device can)

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 51
Message 1 of 51

WiFi Probelm (Can't see network when every other device can)

I've just got a Xperia Z1. It is having problems connecting to my BiPAC 7800N router. The wifi mode is b/g/n. Every other device works fine. 

The only way I can get it to connect is to reset the phone. When the phone next boots up it connects straight away.

The phone is generally really good. However not being able to connect to my home network is a bit of a deal breaker. If I can’t solve it then I might have to take it back.

50 REPLIES 50
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 51
Message 2 of 51

Re: WiFi Probelm (Can't see network when every other device can)

That sounds rather strange. We haven't been able to replicate any similar issues with Wi-Fi so far.

Check the Wi-Fi FAQ if any of those tips can help you. If not let us know.
http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Wi-Fi-problems/m-p/348104#U348104

One time poster
Message 3 of 51
Message 3 of 51

I have the same problem, have to keep turning the phone off to get a signal
One time poster
Message 4 of 51
Message 4 of 51

Hi, i was Xperiencing the Z1-Reboot-to-Reconnect Issue when using Channel 13 on my FRITZ!Box 6360 Cable.
Switching to a free Channel below 10 solved this for me.
I wonder how ppl will troubleshoot this, when their AP is set to automatically use free Channels, picking one of the "Evil Channels" randomly.

Genius
Message 5 of 51
Message 5 of 51

Interesting - this is a bug, I have experience this myself, known good wifi Ap's suddenly show as out of range and the only way to get them available again is to turn the phone off and on, one in particular that I use is only 5 feet away from the phone and when connected shows full signal bars, this needs to be reported back to the Dev team as it is 100% a bug

msa
One time poster
Message 6 of 51
Message 6 of 51

WiFi Probelm (Can't connect to network when every other device can)

Hi,

I've a similar problem. Connecting to open WLAN works fine (either a or g). Connecting to an 802.1x encrypted network works fine. But I have no chance to connect to a Network that uses WPA/PSK with a login pjrase that consists just of upper and lower case letters (no ßäöü involved). other devices can connect on either a and g band.

Thanks

msa

Visitor
Message 7 of 51
Message 7 of 51

Same issue,Made sure that my Router stayed at Chanel 9 (instead of Auto) to fix the issue.

Genius
Message 8 of 51
Message 8 of 51

I have also found a way to get round the issue without reboot

My phone picks up about 8 SSID's at my location, if I select them and use the forget option the wifi works as it should, so it seems that other AP's that my phone is detecting that I never connect too are causing an issue

I don't understand why the xperia ZU wifi worked flawlessly and yet the Z1 has issues, I'd have thought they ran the same software of very similar

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 51
Message 9 of 51

I've been trying to replicate this here but i can't find any problem. Does this only happen when using a channel above 11? What country are you in and do you have mobile network reception?

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Genius
Message 10 of 51
Message 10 of 51

This problem might be difficult to replicate as I strongly believe it has something to do with other AP in my close proximity that are being picked up by the phone

My orginal report was that an AP that I was connected to from my own router  became out of range or became out of range if I turned wifi off and on or the phone wakened up from sleep and the only way to see this AP in range again was to reboot the phone

Since I originally reported this I have found that messing with other AP's in my wifi list that were showing as in range but very weak brough my own AP back to in range and allowed me to connect as normal

Additionally I have now updated to latest Firmware and replicating the problem has not been possible for me, so I'm not sure if it is fixed or not. if it happens again I will report on this thread my findings