account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Why WCDMA won't work and shows No Network.. and works with GSM ONLY

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Why WCDMA won't work and shows No Network.. and works with GSM ONLY

Hello,

I've the Sony Xperia L and a subscriber of Vodafone IN.

My phone will work with GSM ONLY

When I change it to WCDMA, it won't connect and then shows an exclamation mark on the notification area stating the No network connection.

I've sent an sms ACT 3G to 111 to enable the 3G on my vodafone account.

1. How do I go about getting the 3G connectivity??
2. Do I need to get a new SIM, as this SIM was bought on 2007.. I asked with the vodafone customer care and they saying, I need a 3G data package to access. I don't believe that.. even my friend don't have any 3G package, they can still see 'H' or '3G' on phone... (Even though speed isn't there)

I'm in New Delhi and in 3G network area. Kindly suggest few diagnostic steps I can try. Thanks for your feedback.

2 REPLIES 2
Emperor
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Re: Why WCDMA won't work and shows No Network.. and works with GSM ONLY

Most likely you do need a new SIM card but also the APN settings for 3G, I don't see why would have 3G on or H if you don't have a data plan. 3G/H will drain your battery a lot faster and only few networks use this for voice. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Re: Why WCDMA won't work and shows No Network.. and works with GSM ONLY

Same here on my xperia tablet z,  still can't find the right solution.  Changing sim card and factory reset doesn't work too..