account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Which part of your right thumb do you use for fingerprint unlock?

Commissioner
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Which part of your right thumb do you use for fingerprint unlock?

This is the first time I am using a phone with a finger print. I am 6'2 and my thumb is quite big, I can still use the fingerprint with the middle of my thumb, but I am wondering whether the pressure I exert on the sides of the power button will cause it to break eventually.

I noticed now that I can also use the left side (with thumbnail facing me) of my thumb to press the power button, which will not have any pressure on the two sides of the power button.

How do you guys do it?

I realized actually to detect fingerprint, I don't need to press the power button. How nice if I just need to hover my thumb over the power button without pressing anything. 

9 REPLIES 9
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Which part of your right thumb do you use for fingerprint?

Hi @ykphuah,

Use your whole thumb. Register different parts of your thumb to try and cover the most of your fingerprint as possible. It's also a good idea to register your thumb under 2 or more profiles.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

@CameronT wrote:

Hi @ykphuah,

Use your whole thumb. Register different parts of your thumb to try and cover the most of your fingerprint as possible. It's also a good idea to register your thumb under 2 or more profiles.

I assume when you mentioned "whole thumb", you meant the middle of my thumb? My thumb is about 3 times the width of the recessed power button. If I put my thumb where the middle of it is over the power button, I need quite some considerable strength to be able to press the power button, and I worry that it is going to crack the sides of the power button one day. Is this the recommended approach?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

@ykphuah,

Nope, I mean your whole thumb Slightly smiling Face As you register your thumb, move it around the sensor to register different parts of your thumb, don't just register the same part of your thumb over and over. The fingerprint scanner will create an encrypted image containing your fingerprint and the more areas of your finger/thumb you register, the more accurate it will be.

So, while you are registering your finger, after it vibrates move your thumb slightly. Register the middle, the sides, the tip and the base of the finger you are registering when you set it up.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Commissioner
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

@CameronT wrote:

@ykphuah,

Nope, I mean your whole thumb Slightly smiling Face As you register your thumb, move it around the sensor to register different parts of your thumb, don't just register the same part of your thumb over and over. The fingerprint scanner will create an encrypted image containing your fingerprint and the more areas of your finger/thumb you register, the more accurate it will be.

So, while you are registering your finger, after it vibrates move your thumb slightly. Register the middle, the sides, the tip and the base of the finger you are registering when you set it up.

But if I am only going to press the button with the left tip of my thumb, it doesn't make sense to register the other parts of the thumb, right?

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

If you're worried about the power button being used always, you could set your phone to "tap to wake up" and "tap to sleep" though, to minimize your activity through power button.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

@ykphuah,

It is better to register a larger area of your finger to improve the accuracy of the sensor. Even if you are only using the tip of your finger to unlock your phone, it is unlikely to be in the exact same position every time.

Commissioner
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

@CameronT wrote:

@ykphuah,

It is better to register a larger area of your finger to improve the accuracy of the sensor. Even if you are only using the tip of your finger to unlock your phone, it is unlikely to be in the exact same position every time.

Thanks for your clarfication Cameron. 

My original question is more like putting out a poll to see which area of their thumbs do people use for unlocking, not really on which area we should register. Your replies are informative though.

I would still like to find out how others are unlocking (by pressing the power button) their phones, with tips of the thumb, or middle of the thumb.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

@ykphuah

I see. Personally, I press the button with the top middle part of my right thumb, as this is where it feels comfortable for me.

Forum Legend
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

I actually use the lower portion of my thumb, with the most prominent prints. it will guarantee 9 out of 10 recognition everytime

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling