account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Which earphones work with Sony Xperia SP

Highlighted
Regular
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Which earphones work with Sony Xperia SP

Hello,

Which earphones (headphones w/ mic combination) work with the Xony Xperia SP?

By work I mean:

• Start-stop music with center button
  • Volume control on headphones

I have some "Sony MDREX38IPB.CE7 In-Ear Headphones with In-Line iPod Remote Control" and although the center button works to start and stop the music, the volume control doesn't. Have also tried Samsung headphones, iPhone headphones and iPod headphones. In all cases the volume control on the earphones does not control the volume.

What I want to do is simply be able to change the volume of the sound through the volume control of the earphones when listening to music. Sounds simple. Seems not to be.

INB4: Restoring my phone. No, that's just avoiding answering the question.

INB4: headphones faulty. No, the headphones are not faulty, tried with three pairs and all work fine on iPod touch and iPhone 4 but NOT with Sony Xperia SP.

10 REPLIES 10
Emperor
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Which earphones work with Sony Xperia SP

You should contact Sony directly, it'll be easier to get perhaps a compatibility list

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Regular
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

I would, but based on previous experience the chances of getting a reply are slim.

Surely there must be people in this forum already using compatible earphones where the volume control on the earphones works to change the volume?

Regular
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

As feared the reply from Sony Support via email was useless; misunderstood the question and gave an answer to something else entirely. I wonder whether I actually got the reply for the email before mine since the answer had nothing to do with my question.

So a quick question to the forum: does anyone here use wired earphones (headphones with microphones) with the Sony Xperia SP where the volume buttons on the earphones work?

Commissioner
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

I use the wireless headset DR-BTN200M and it works fantastically with Sony xperia SP I got it in white to go with my handset it has the controls for volume and to play or pause tracks and to either go forward or backwards . can also be used to receive calls or make calls. Helps me in the winter times and no tangling of wires 

If you are not into  wireless , get the smart headset 

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/smart-headset/

Visitor
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

I don't have an Xperia sp but I can help U , when U plug a headphone with iphone remote does the mic works fine? and if it works does the middle button work when U try to answer a phone call?

Regular
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

Yes. The middle button works to start and end calls and the Mic works. The volume keys do not.
Visitor
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

ok good , there is a small app on the playstore caled( JAYS Headset Control ) its a tiny app that allow U to program your inline mic buttons including the iphone didicated buttons , 90% it will work

Regular
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Nope. Doesn't do anything to the volume control buttons on the headset.

Strange that such an easy question has everyone looking and their feet.

One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Hi. I have an Xperia Z mobile phone and I use HTC Desire headphones with remote control (about £1 or £2 on ebay) and they work. I can skip songs, pick up and hang up phonecalls etc. 

Hope that helps.