account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

What should i do when i feel the device overheating without turning it off?

Adviser
Message 51 of 80
Message 51 of 80

Re: waiting for updates?

Guys, one thing about the camera app. Here's how it works.

First off, install CPU-Z (to check temp -> 'msm_therm')

The camera will close whenever that hits 55C. Same deal on all other Zs. You could root to raise the thermal limit, but that's a different discussion & could toast your device. It's something I wouldn't recommend to everyone. 

If you're trying to use the camera app & 'msm_therm' is sitting say at 53C, don't even bother. It'll hit 55C in no time & the camera will close. In my case, the temp is usually in 40s after regular usage. So camera works fine. But if you're using it outdoor in hot environment, you may run into this instantaneous shut-down of camera.

I had no problem with recording more than 10 minutes of 4K indoor with starting temp of 28C. YMMV, but you get the idea.

I was able to record 6 miuntes of 4K outdoor with starting temp of 40C. That's still better than what other phones can do (always limited to 5 minutes). Just keep an eye on that 'msm_therm' to estimate the usage you'd get. 

Also play with H.264 & H.265 for 4K. 264 takes up almost twice the storage, but it happens to record longer than .265 in my case.I'd blame it on the higher amount of processing going on in .265 case.

Use google camera to extend 1080p recording. People did 50 minutes of 1080p using that vs 30 minutes from the stock app.

Once again, it's all about the initial temp ('msm_therm' from CPU-Z) app. The farther the initial temp is from the limit which is '55C', the longer you'd be able to use the camera. 

Good luck!

Apprentice
Message 52 of 80
Message 52 of 80

OK sounds better, have people been exagerating this issue? testing in very hot waether ect. Have sony released a succesful update since launch of the phone I cant seem to find much info on this, thanks Adam.

Adviser
Message 53 of 80
Message 53 of 80

Well, Sony's implementation of the thermal limit is a bit confusing. On other phones, you'll get 5 minutes of 4K in all cases (or nothing if temp is beyond the limit they put which is usually very high), so no surprise there. But on Sony phones (Z3+/Z3/Z2) - there's a surprise factor as the limit is determined on the fly by temp itself & it can be anything between 0 & > 20 minutes. I still like it as I can get way more than 5 minutes of 4K starting with a slightly warm device. It'd be nice if Sony could raise the thermal limit a bit at least for the still shots.

There were definitely some real & exaggerated cases. But Z3+ got 2 (3 if you include that limited .31 fw) updates in two months & things are getting really better. The very first fw (.08x) was a big mess & saw some harsh reviews. But again, there was day 1 update (.2x) for my Z3+ that I bought in launch week & it made things much better. Kudos to Sony & I hope they will keep up this good work. 

Learner
Message 54 of 80
Message 54 of 80

Re: What should i do when i feel the device overheating without turning it off?

It is very frustrating about the camera, but until they bring out an update to fix it there is a temp fix you can do yourself, carefully cut 6-7 pieces of tinfoil and place between the glass back and your cover for your phone (presuming you have bought a cover for your flagship phone). It works great for me and my camera stays on much longer. Until they bring put a patch this will have to do
Apprentice
Message 55 of 80
Message 55 of 80

Just received my z3+ today. 1st thing I did was take 1 pic of my mum in her back room, phone overheated and camera app shut down. Absolute nonsense! If you watch Sony advert for this phone you'd think it was an advert for a camera! I just can't believe Sony would release a phone who's camera can only take 1 pic. Better news after 3 updates filmed 2:30 mins of 4k video no problem. Watch this space.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 56 of 80
Message 56 of 80

Overheating

My brand new Xperia Z3+ is constantly overheating! When its charged, when i use apps like fb,instgr, viber etc, especialy when i use the camera (back and front). Is there any solution for this overheating  problem???

Best regards,

Marija S.

Learner
Message 57 of 80
Message 57 of 80

Z3+ IS ALWAYS GETTING VERY HOT.

WHAT SHOULD I DO TO REDUCE THE HEAT?
Visitor
Message 58 of 80
Message 58 of 80

Is there any rumour or hearing about update for 5.1.1 and any sw fix for overheating? It is being told reduce for cpu speed can be solution
Visitor
Message 59 of 80
Message 59 of 80

after reading all of the discussion, after feeling unconfortable for 2 months of using sony xperia z3+, i finally decide to trade off my sony z3+ with others more reliable phone...this overheating problems is so annoying and sony seem bring no solutions nor any goodwill to solve this issue, and so far i believe sony know about it and just don't care...i feel like being cheated by sony...

Eng
Learner
Message 60 of 80
Message 60 of 80

Z3+ heat problem

Hello, my Z3+ has got a overheat problem from day one. First it reboot 5-20 times/day but after last software update it reboot just 0-2 times/day. I'm not using the phone till 100% because I don't want it that it reboot. Will there be another update soon that takes care of the heat problem I still have or is it just my phone?