account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Video recording limitation.

Highlighted
Message 11 of 29
Message 11 of 29

Re: Video recording limitation.

Hi again,
Yes it was 60fps.
Tbh I was expecting less. As I'd left all the enhancement features on I thought it would die out at 10 minute mark.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adept
Message 12 of 29
Message 12 of 29

@nolramlb wrote:

it might help a little bit, since the internal memory has faster read/write speeds compared to external memory.

Though this might increase the duration, do not expect it to be better, as far as I know , other phone manufacturers are putting limit on this Video mode is because of the heat, sony xperia doesn't have this limit but heat will eventually limit the duration.

Yes, you are right, so I am using high performance SONY SD card(U3 grade, Read 95MB/s, Write 90MB/s).

Anyway, now the full HD 60fps option works well over 5 minutes. Probably, my device was in increasing the temperature and I did the recording at that time.

Inhabitant
Message 13 of 29
Message 13 of 29

Want a word of advice? Exchange!

Mine would heat up pretty fast. Even in camera mode functions were disabled after a while due to heat. Recording even at 1080p/30fps would shut the camera down. The most i would normally get at 1080/60fps or 4K was 8-10 minutes (and sometimes could not record more than 3 -5 minutes). Gyroscope had an issue, which I detected while playing Asphalt8. Did the service menu tests and there was something wrong. I sent that unit back after a week of use. Apparently the problem in the gyro would heat up the processor and other components and that was why temperatures rise so quickly.
Just received another unit today and filmed 24 minutes in 4K until it shut down. I'm still testing this one but am a lot more satisfied, although the selfie camera is a little bit off center...
By the way, my first XZ had a little particle of dust inside the main camera glass. That did not seem to affect picture quality but it was there...
I read on this forum and xda people that already complained about heat problems, dust in the dual sim version camera glass (mine is single sim) and other stuff. Mine just had those issues. I really like the XZ but I had the Z2 and never had problems, although many people did. Just wasn't expecting to have them in a newer flagship version.
Gonna see how this one will behave through the next day. Hopefully all will be OK and I will be a proud owner of a great phone that fulfills my needs.

Adept
Message 14 of 29
Message 14 of 29

Thanks for the kind opinion and I will also pay attention to the heat up during the recording and hope it works well.

Now it seems to work well...Slightly smiling Face  

Inhabitant
Message 15 of 29
Message 15 of 29

Kilee, by the way, can you please benchmark your sd card on the phone using for example A1 SD Bench?

I have a class 10 UHS-I(U1) card but want to buy a UHS-I(U3) (ex. Sandisk Extreme) or a UHS-II(U3) (ex. Sandisk Extreme Pro) but don't know if the interface of the phone will take full advantage of the card speed.

By the way, the tests i did while recording were done using the internal memory.

Thanks

Adept
Message 16 of 29
Message 16 of 29

I am using Sony SD card and it is U3(R=95, W=90) so it is not a issue related to SD card I think. Now I found out a case of this issue and it would happen when I record a person. At this time, xz trace a face and it effect to the heat up extreamly. If I record a landscape or things, xz is not heat up and it records much time. Unfortunatelly, I dont know how to disable the face tracking. Slightly frowning Face
Message 17 of 29
Message 17 of 29

Camera Settings, object tracking off

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adept
Message 18 of 29
Message 18 of 29

Of course I did it but the tracking is still working in the recording mode. I dont know if this is a bug.
Inhabitant
Message 19 of 29
Message 19 of 29

kilee, if i were you i would trade that phone for another one if you are under the first 30 days.

Those r/w speeds of your card are theoretical and depend a lot on what usb host you are using (ex. the same as using an usb 3.1 pen drive on a computer that the motherboard only supports 2.0, thus limiting the speed).

I had the same problem that you have, got a replacement and that problem is over. For example, when doing benchmarks on Antutu with the old one, starting fron idle temperatures, sometimes i would get 130.000 or more but from a minute to another on another test only 90.000-100.000 and this was due to heating issues not only when using the camera. With the new unit on Antutu i always get around 140.000-143.000.

Adept
Message 20 of 29
Message 20 of 29

Too short recording time

Hi,
I`m using XZ and have a problem on the video recording.

When I do the video recording, it runs about 3 minutes and turned it off due to the high temperature.
My config. is Full HD 60fps / object tracking off / steadyshot standard / save location / strorage SD card.

The phenomenon happens only when I record a person(portrait), and it doesn't happen with landscape or things.
Actually, I can record the video 5 minutes more for the landscape or things.
I think that face tracking feature is effect to the recording time but there is no option to turn it off.

In summary,
1. video recording for a person(portrait) : about 3 minutes running and turned it off.
2. video recording for a thing(landscape) : possible to record 5 minutes more and more.

Do you have same phenomenon with me??

Of course I questioned to Sony and they told me that, 2~3 minutes recording time for full HD 60fps is spec-in.
This is totally ridiculous.