account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Updating phone - what happens to apps...?

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Updating phone - what happens to apps...?

When the time comes to update our phones with Android 2.1 or whatever, I know we need to back up our contacts and so on, if we don;t want to lose them, but what happens to apps we've installed?  I have, for example, installed a Japanese dictionary on my phone, and really don't want to have to buy it again when I update my phone.

Is it possible to transfer everything to the memory card to keep it safe, or would that not be enough to preserve the stuff we've bought / installed?

3 REPLIES 3
Genius
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Updating phone - what happens to apps...?

Hi,

Did you get the dictionary right from the Market? If so, when you update in the future, as long as you sign back into the market with the same Google Account, you should be able to download it again without issue.

If you bought it from some external site, you'll have to contact that site. Considering updates/resets are fairly common across the board with Android I imagine they have some sort of policy regarding re-installing applcations.

Demigod
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Yes, everything I have put on my phone is from the Android Market, through the phone.  I notice that, when I go to the Market from the phone, it shwos the things I have downloaded, so I guess I just need to go to that and reload the apps.

Thank you!

One time poster
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Will I lose my contract and music and pictures if I update