account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Transfer Apps from Phone to SD Card

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 49
Message 1 of 49

Transfer Apps from Phone to SD Card

Just bought a Xpeia Z2, First Android I've had!

I've got all my music, videos and photos saved on my SD card..
But the 16GB Internal memory is already half full from apps/games and I don't even have that many installed yet.

How can I download apps to/Transfer apps to the SD card so I an use the whole 64GB of memory.

Thanks.

48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49
Message 2 of 49

Re: Transfer Apps from Phone to SD Card

You cannot transfer apps to SD by default,it is a restriction from google.You can move media files though.You need to root to be able to move apps.

Btw,congratulations for the amazing device.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 3 of 49
Message 3 of 49

Hi Everyone,

Have just recently got the Sony Z2 and a Samsung S5 for the other half, very pleased with both phones.

Both are running 4.4.2 but on the S5 you can transfer to the SD, so this cannot be a limiting factor from Google?

So not sure why Sony wont allow Apps to be saved onto the SD Card at present?

I currently have a 64Gb Card but fnd the 16Gb internal too small that i'm nearly out of storage Slightly frowning Face

Hurry up Sony!

Message 4 of 49
Message 4 of 49

Contact xperia care:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 5 of 49
Message 5 of 49

Have emailed them so I await their reply with great eagerness!
Message 6 of 49
Message 6 of 49

Tell us the answer.

Adviser
Message 7 of 49
Message 7 of 49

Will do Slightly smiling Face
Adviser
Message 8 of 49
Message 8 of 49

Today I got a reply from Sony, though it's not the answer we wanted nor does it explain why?

Dear Shane, 

Thank you for contacting the Sony Xperia support centre.

We are sorry to hear of the issues that you are facing with the memory on your Sony Xperia Z2.

Unfortunately, the ability to remove apps to SD card on our handsets was removed and this feature is no longer available on the handset.

We would advise, if you can, move all available media onto the handset's SD card and have the phone's internal storage available for apps.

I will pass your feedback regarding this matter onto the relevant department for consideration.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

For the latest news, information and product support please visit 
http://www.sonymobile.com.

If you require any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us again. Please use the below link for all our contact information.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/support/contact-us

Please be aware that should you not respond within 5 days of this email your query will be automatically closed. Any further communications will not reach our support and a new query will need to be raised.

Kind Regards,
Laura Hunter

Sony Xperia UK Customer Services

So there you have it, no explanation.

16Gb on a handset is pretty tiny with App's/Games growing in size all the time.

Also when you consider the OS first, it's really only say 11Gb available.

Install some Navigation Software and that can drop another 3-4Gb, so it soon gets eaten.

Pathetic decision by Sony?

Wish I'd got a Samsung S5 like I bought my other half!

Adviser
Message 9 of 49
Message 9 of 49

Here's the reply.

Though it seems it's down to Google???

So why can the S5 move to SD, but the Z2 can't yet they are running the same OS?

Dear Shane,

Thank you for contacting the Sony Xperia support centre.

In regards to your prwevious email enquiring about why we removed the fissure to stop transferring apps to your Sony Xperia Z2.

When the updates are created they are created by Google themselves, they have removed the fissure which would normally allow you to transfer the apps over to the SD card. I am afraidthe only thing you can do now is transfer the app data over to your SD card but not the actual application.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

For the latest news, information and product support please visit Sony Mobile.

If you require any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us again. Please use the below link for all our contact information.

Please be aware that should you not respond within 5 days of this email your query will be automatically closed. Any further communications will not reach our support and a new query will need to be raised.

Kind Regards,
Scott Fletcher

Sony Xperia UK Customer Services
One time poster
Message 10 of 49
Message 10 of 49

It Seems We Are still waiting for a solution...