account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Traditional video calls - possible on Xperia Pro?

Emperor
Message 21 of 176
Message 21 of 176

Re: Traditional video calls - possible on Xperia Pro?

I don't think its up to SE or Google, for one part SE its responsable for the hardware and to adjust Android for their phones, on the other hand Google its in charge of developing the phone and some apps, the rest its up to developers, now, if you really think about it, Android its supposed to ALWAYS be online, just like chromium OS will be online 24/7; It makes sense, since google wants you to be online the whole time, and for the most part carriers will subsidized Smartphones as long as  you get a data plan, at the end its hard to see an smartphone that doesn't have a data plan; so if you add all together it makes sense that Android wont offer videocalls over 3G

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 22 of 176
Message 22 of 176

My dear friend,

I work in a Telecomm Company and i get Free Video Calls over 3G as job benefit. So I hope now it makes sense to provide Smartphones with Video Calls over 3G. Chrome is for Laptops and not providing it with video calls makes Sense, unlike Android which is specifically for Mobiles which, in its most fundamental aspect, is used to make Calls (Audio and Video). Also if Samsung Smartphones with its very simply aptitude can provide smartphones with Video Calls over 3G, definitely Sony has the Expertise and Technology to Provide Such Features, especially when you Tout Xperia Mobile to be the new Revolution in Android Market.

Highlighted
Emperor
Message 23 of 176
Message 23 of 176

I'm sure the phones are capable of doing videocalls over 3G but like I said since most carriers want you to buy a data plan I doubt google and/or a carrier will release an app to do so, instead they will want you to get a data plan and use tango, skype, etc

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 24 of 176
Message 24 of 176

Hello,

I write here in response to your message, because it is more likely that You will be able to read this post sooner.
Although, my main post addressed to You today

(01:56  CEST/GMT+2), concerning 3G video call is at the bottom of this thread,

according to the order of entries in the mainstream.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
Best regards. uiq3user.

One time poster
Message 25 of 176
Message 25 of 176

@Johan-SEAnswers:
When I read your letter I was close to the shock Johan.

Two new smartphones with the front cameras without the

possibility of video calls in UMTS networks is a big oversight on the part of the SE.

I understand estimating of the future market;

others are American market requirements and other for the rest of the world,

which does not mean that the market - covering the area where

the network diversity prevented the spread of 3G video call - sets up not American mobile phones developer

abandonment to support worldwide widespread 3G video call.
If the connectivity can be compared to transport, then which is a simplier solution,

a flight from LA to NY over the North Pole and London using a new wide-body B747-8I,

whether a direct flight on a relatively old narrow-body MD-88?

If direct connections within the GSM network for video call are simplier than calls via IP, why then the

developer dropped it? Smaller network throughput is not important here.
It seems that future Neo/Pro users don't count, only top-down target arrangements. 
Users of SE smartphones want 3G video calls

and instead they got the New Integration of Facebook inside Xperia.
It is said here that the traditional way of making video calls is not implanted in the Android systems but the other

developers of Android smartphones succeeded in doing it.

What is the Mediascape and Timescape Integration if not customized version of the operating system?

This is the kind of a patch on the system.

Will we get such for 3G video calls from the developer of  Xperia Neo and Pro time will tell

because there are no signs in this case by now?
Probably not, as uliwooly has posted recently in this thread.
By the way, why not make the fans of Neo and Pro vote? What they prefer to have?
New initiatives similar to New Integration of Facebook or 3G video call?
Respect for all of you posting in this thread.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 26 of 176
Message 26 of 176

Yes I Definitely support uiq3user suggestion,

lets take vote for all the NEO and PRO users, then the result will be clearly visible to SE.

Adviser
Message 27 of 176
Message 27 of 176

I have also posted the same concern about Video call. Check it out :-

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/thread/16425

New Samsung Galaxy S2 has Video Call Feature why SonyEricsson is not putting it ?

Emperor
Message 28 of 176
Message 28 of 176

its not supported by Android

Adviser
Message 29 of 176
Message 29 of 176

Either you don't read anything and reply whatever comes into your mind to gain your ratings or you do not have any knowledge or may be both. Don't you know that SAMSUNG Galaxy S 1 and 2 both are Androids and they support Video Call ? I have posted the screenshot, can't you see ? Answer only if you know how they did it.

Emperor
Message 30 of 176
Message 30 of 176

do you know anything about freedom of speech? and/or respect other bloggers?

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/1046#1046