account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Traditional video calls - possible on Xperia Pro?

One time poster
Message 11 of 176
Message 11 of 176

Re: Traditional video calls - possible on Xperia Pro?

uliwooly wrote:

quite interesting I'll keep looking into it

Please do,  you are here the only support by now.

All those SE smartphones have native video call option via UMTS/WCDMA (see under): P990i, P1i, W960i, G700, G900, Xperia X1, Xperia X2.

P990i Video phone app;screen

Emperor
Message 12 of 176
Message 12 of 176

and none of them are androids, so far I haven't been able to find any android support for video call over 3G (non data)

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 13 of 176
Message 13 of 176

"and none of them are androids"

And that's the point!

3G phones dont't need external (2nd party) application to have video call capability - see rest SE phones (starting from 2006y.) with "SE_phone system". See also similar Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, ... phones (not smartphones) with THIS feature. There's a lot of it!

Sony Xperia Support
Message 14 of 176
Message 14 of 176

As I understand the traditional way of making video calls is unfortunately not implanted in the Android systems available today.

I don't know but hopefully this is something that will come in future versions of Android.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 15 of 176
Message 15 of 176

Johan,

There are android phones with support for traditional 3g  video calls. Try Samsung Galaxy S i9000, LG Optimus 2X, LG Optimus Black,  Samsung Galaxy S2.

If samsung can do this in their android phone, why can't SE.

I  assume that Andorid OS support this feature but in-order to help the  carriers to make more money, phone makers are omitting this feature.   But they are adding SIP based video chat ( skype, fring, yahoo) apps.

Video call and video chat are different.

Video  chat requires a Data plan and requires compatible application in both phones.

A native  video call is just like a voice call ( phone number to phone number) and requires 3G phones with front facing camera, 3G network coverage  and carrier should enable this feature in their 3G network. And it is  not phone/os dependant.

I am from India, here 3G network is rolled out  recently and every carrier supports native 3g video call ( charged in per  minute basis).

Currently using SE w850i, this phone supports native 3g video call. I was waiting for an SE  android phone with front facing camera and native 3G video call support.

I am very much disappointed after reading the details about Xperia Neo and Xperia Pro

Varghese

One time poster
Message 16 of 176
Message 16 of 176

Johan-SEAnswers wrote:

As I understand the traditional way of making video calls is unfortunately not implanted in the Android systems available today.

Thanks for a concrete answer Johan,

"The mainstream Android version does not support video calling, but some handsets have a customized version of the operating system which supports it, either via UMTS network (like the Samsung Galaxy S) or over IP".

Samsung Galaxy S; 3G Video Call (demo here) The phone on this video seems to run on Eclair.

Johan-SEAnswers wrote:

I don't know but hopefully this is something that will come in future versions of Android.

Can you confirm this assumption, for a future versions of Android, for whom you are referring - with the traditional (phone->direct to->phone) video calls option - will it be available for Xperia pro as well as Neo? Is there a chance Sony Ericsson will customize the operating system for this feature?
I ask this because from what you wrote is not clear that these future versions of Android will improve communication capabilities of  Xperia pro and Neo.

Agree, next versions of Android will improve new, future Xperias, for sure. How it will be with Xperia pro and Neo.

You can comment on that? The army of people waiting for a response.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 17 of 176
Message 17 of 176

uiq3user wrote:

Thanks for your time. Application for video calls should be phone's native. See the picture under "K800i", above.

Carrier has nothing in common with this if it is UMTS video call services operator. All carriers (operators) in Europe provide this services.

uliwooly wrote:

quite interesting I'll keep looking into it

G'day,

I am sending this after my comment to Johan's post,  mainly for your purposes. View this video, it does not apply to this thread, especially Android,

but in genaral to the 3G video call option on other OS' for smartphones,  here Video Calling over 3G with HTC Diamond and Nokia N95.

I wonder how you receive comments below the video? Winking Face I think that will be more interesting for you than this wideo.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 18 of 176
Message 18 of 176

Yes ! I'm also disappointed about this. I'm used to do video call with my W995. I was expecting this to come stock with the Xperia Neo. I can't understand why SE didn't implemented this by default with the phone that brings a front facing camera and supports 3G.

Please take this back to the default set of functions.

Regards

Emperor
Message 19 of 176
Message 19 of 176

maybe someone will release an app or check the Xda forum

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 20 of 176
Message 20 of 176

It is indeed extremely dissapointing, that Xperia NEO does not have customized Video Call over 3G feature.

Definetly the Developers at SE must be working on it. If they do find a Solution will tht feature be provided in the already sold Xperia NEO Devices??