account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Touchscreen Issue

Highlighted
Regular
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Touchscreen Issue

Okay, I have the X Performance (Taiwanese Dual model) in the US. I noticed there are two touchscreen issues... the upper part of my screen doesn't register at times (tapping widgets, swiping away notifications). Not all the time, just randomly. The other problem is when I'm gesture typing (Swiftkey or Google Keyboard) sometimes the gesture trail will cut off mid-trail causing errors while typing. I find if i turn off the screen and on again it works well. I already tried a factory reset and both issues persist.
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Re: Touchscreen Issue

does it happen while you are in safe mode?

try perform a software repair using Xperia Companion

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Highlighted
Regular
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

I have Googled this and haven't found anything that helps. I have performed a software repair and the issues persist
Highlighted
Regular
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

And also just tried it in safe mode... still does it
Highlighted
Genius
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

Hi there, can we try something? Cool! Let's go.

Open the dialer and dial this: *#*#service#*#* that is *#*#7378423#*#* in numbers, then press service tests and then touchscreen. Try to draw in the areas where usually the touchscreen don't work.

Then, next step.. Do you have by chance some sort of apps that control brightness? Like a night mode app!? Those kind of apps can disrupt regular touchscreen operation.

Another question, when this happens.. Is the screen hot? Does it happen a lot after or during usage in direct sun bright light?

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Highlighted
Regular
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

I've done the first suggestion, everything registered fine. And I do not have a brightness control app. And this happens at any random time, hot or cool... and when the second problem occurs with the broken gesture typing, I turn the screen off then on again and the gesture typing works well again
Highlighted
Regular
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

Actually I tried the first suggestion again, and I noticed that the lines don't floor as smoothly as they do on the bottom of the screen, broken lines
Highlighted
Genius
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

Ok so, it may be hardware, it may be software. But at this point after a software repair I think it's the digitizer gone bad. Last test before thinking about sending the device in Taiwan... Can you try the phone without Sim and SD card? It may be, also if just remotely, an issue with a Sim card or SD card. Both may have different problems but eventually both may provoke issues software side...

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Highlighted
Regular
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

Just tried without the sim and sd card, it persists. I might have to take it in... would there be a problem that it's the Taiwanese model and I'm in California?
Highlighted
Genius
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

Uh scalkie... That's a problem. You will have to send it in Taiwan :-s

Contact the seller and ask if they can arrange shipment, at your expenses..

Wizardry is the key!