account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Timezone changed for appointments synced to phone

Adviser
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Timezone changed for appointments synced to phone

I have a Xperia Z1

I use Outlook 2010 on my PC

I use PC Companion to sync the calendar details from Outlook to the phone

My PC, Outlook, Xperia Z1 and Calendar on the Xperia all have the same timezone setting.

When I perform a sync of appointments from Outlook to the phone using PC Companion, the timezone in each individual appointment is dfferent to the timezone set for the PC, Outlook, Xperia Z1 and the Calendar app.

As a result the appointments show on my phone at the incorrect time.

If I edit each appointment on my phone and change the timezone in the appointment to match the timezone in use in all other settings, the appointment displays correctly.

This applies to all appointments but has a bigger impact on recurring appointments.

The timezone in a single appointment is not the same as the timezone in all other settings but it at least has the correct offset from GMT so the appointment shows at the correct time.

For recurring appointments, the timezone in the appointment is changed to one which is not in the selection list on my PC and it has a different offset from GMT to the actual timezone in use.  Consequently the recurring appointments display in the calendar app on the phone at the wrong time.

The timezone setting in use is:  Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney.  This timezone is GMT + 10 and GMT +11 during Daylight Savings Time.  The timezone is currently in Daylight Savings Time.

The individual appointments, when synced to the phone using PC Companion, shows a timezone of "(GMT+10:00)GMT+10:00".  Even with a GMT offset of 10:00 it somehow recognises Daylight Savings is applicable and adjusts the start and end time of the appointment by GMT+11:00.

A recurring appointment, when synced to the phone using PC Companion, shows a timezone of "(GMT+11:00) Sakhalin Standard Time".  This results in a recurring appointment presenting in the calendar app at the correct time until the recurrence cross the start or end date for Daylight Savings Time.

I have had the Xperia Z1 for 10 months now and have crossed the transition into and out off Dayligh Savings Time once each.  On each occasion the appoinment times in the calendar app on the phone became incorrect.  The only solution is to individually edit each appointment and manual select the appropriate timezone.

I have been synchronising phones with Outlook for about 15 years now.  During the early years there were issues with timezone changes for daylight savings but I haven't encountered it for at least 10 years.  It is very disappointing that Sony has not been able to get this right when it had already solved the problem for its pre-android phones and syncing with the earlier version of PC Companion.

I look forward to a resolution to this issue.

12 REPLIES 12
Adviser
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: Timezone changed for appointments synced to phone

I have an update to this issue:

Today a colleague sent me a meeting request for a weekly, recurring meeting.

I accepted the meeting and it shows in my Outlook calendar correctly.  I have synced the calendar to my xperia using the PC Companion.  I then went to edit the recurring appointment on my xperia as I know it will not have the correct timezone associated with it. 

I opened the appointment in edit mode and sure enough, the timezone in the appointment itself is GMT + 10:00.  I changed the timezone to Sydney,Melbourne, saved the change and exited the appointment.

The phone has now adjusted the meeting time in the calendar on my phone to be one hour earlier!!  It some how does not recognise that the phone itself is in the Sydney, Melbourne timezone and, due to daylight savings, is currently GMT + 11:00.

How is it that Sony, after all of these years, is unable to do the basics of managing timezones??????

Adviser
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Ok Sony, so you have no ideas about this????

Adviser
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

I lodged a support request to Sony through their website about this issue.

I received a response from the support team requesting I perform a software repair on my phone.  I successfully completed the software repair process in accordance with the instructions provided.  The issue still exists.

I lodged a follow-up to the support request advising Sony that the software repair was completed successfully but it did not resolve the issue.  The support team has sent through another response requesting that I send my phone in for servicing.

I will not be sending the phone in for servicing as the issue is not linked to anything individual or specific to my phone.  This issue is related to the software Sony have developed to perform the synchronisation function.  I have advised Sony I will not be sending my phone in for repair as I do not expect anything the repair centre can do will make any difference and I also do not want to be without my phone for the time it will take Sony to do what they do.

How about instead of putting the ownership for performing resolution actions on the customer, Sony step up and look into the quality of the software code they are using?

Highlighted
Adept
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

Outlook and Android calendar sync - Timezone changed for appointments

Hi there,

I recently noticed a rather big issue when syncing my Outlook Calendar with the, stock, Android Calendar (i.e. NOT Google Calendar) using Sony PC Companion.

Basically - it appears that Daylight Savings Time AND Time Zone settings are not being handled correctly.

In fact, this post here - https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/Timezone-changed-for-appointments-synced-to-phone/td-p/... - accurately summarises the issue which is occurring.

That post was made at the beginning of October in 2014. And there still hasn't been any resolution for this (as far as I can see).

Here is some details:

My PC: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Service Pack 1

My Phone: Sony Xperia Z3 Compact D5833 (which I purchased, new, only 2-3 weeks ago)

Android Version: 4.4.4

PC Companion Version: 2.10.245 Production: 40.1

A resolution to this issue would be greatly appreciated Sony!

Forum Legend
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Re: Outlook and Android calendar sync - Timezone changed for appointments

Here's the problem Android has - Is this an Android issue or a Microsoft issue - Who should fix it? Should M/S make their products compatible or should Google?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Adept
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

@Thommo wrote:

Here's the problem Android has - Is this an Android issue or a Microsoft issue - Who should fix it? Should M/S make their products compatible or should Google?

This is not an Android nor a Microsoft issue. This wasn't (and isn't) an issue with my old HTC Incredible S (which is running Android 4.0.4) which, using the HTC Sync software, successfully synced the Outlook and Android Calendar.

This is a Sony issue with the Sony PC Companion software and the way it synchronises the Outlook and Android calendars.

Forum Legend
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

It may have worked with the ICS firmware but have you tested other devices using JB or KK or some devices running Lollipop

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Adept
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

No, I haven't and I am not able to.

I am going on the hours I have spent browsing the Internet and reading up on the experiences people have been having.

Here is thing:

The issue must be with the program used to sync the data between the two calendars. Why? Well here's a simple test:

In the Android Calendar - if you create a new, recurring, appointment - the appointment is created accurately with no issues as a result of daylight savings time starting / ending.

In Outlook Calendar - if you create a new, recurring, appointment - the appointment is created accurately with no issues as a result of daylight savings time starting / ending.

The issue ONLY occurs when you synchronise the data between the two - and this done by third party software i.e. Sony PC Companion.

Therefore - the issue is totally on the software which is doing the synchronising (i.e. the way Sony PC Companion reads and creates calendar entries).

Forum Legend
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

This is a member forum ran by members like you which I am and we have no influence over Sony - You will need to contact Sony directly to forward a developer issue http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/