account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Third party apps can't find SD card after Marshmallow update on Z4 tablet

BRX
Visitor
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Third party apps can't find SD card after Marshmallow update on Z4 tablet

Hi, German user here. After trying the Marshmallow update yesterday (32.1.A.1.163) my third party apps which use the SD card can't find it any more (For instance MobileSheets Pro, ComicRack but also file manager like ES Explorer and Total Commander).

The SD card is working for the Android system. It's connected, its data is shown and can be browsed in the preferences. Also apps can be moved to the SD card and back. But the SD card is non-existent for non native apps. I tried several reboots, connects and disconnects. Figured it could be something with the rights management but couldn't get that to work either.

Does anyone have similar problems or suggestion to solve this?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
BRX
Visitor
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Third party apps can't find SD card after Marshmallow update on Z4 tablet

The support chat just gave me the advice to de- and reinstall the apps in question. This seems to help. Loosing some preferences though but at least the SD card is accessible again for the apps.

Emperor
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

@BRX

Just yesterday I had a similar issue with one app but yeah, uninstalling and reinstalling the app seems to solve the problem

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

BRX
Visitor
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

One problem remains for me. Marshmallow now calls my sd card '6630-6438' instead of sdcard1. Anybody knows why and how to fix it?

It messes up all the paths to the data on my card. I tried renaming without success.

Talent
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

@BRX wrote:

One problem remains for me. Marshmallow now calls my sd card '6630-6438' instead of sdcard1. Anybody knows why and how to fix it?

It messes up all the paths to the data on my card. I tried renaming without success.

Hi BRX

That's standard Marshmallow; nothing Sony's done.  Same thing happened on my Nvidia Shield tablet & LG G4 phone.  It's all down to the way Google implemented adoptive storage; something Sony has opted out of.  That number you have for your SD Card is actually the cards internal serial number.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

As JonC says, in Android 6.0, the path has been changed to /storage/xxxxxxxx, where xxxxxxxx is the serial number of the SD card. Third-party app developers should always use APIs provided by Google to access the external storage.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.