account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

The phone heats a lot...

Learner
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

The phone heats a lot...

Hello everyone,

I bought a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact two weeks ago and I find the phone heats a lot.

I use WhatsApp for 5 minutes and the phone starts to heat up. I do not understand. Is this normal? Are there a solution?

Note that I only use WhatsApp without any other applications running. I'm a little disappointed about this phone following this issue ...

Thanks for your answer.

Regards,

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: The phone heats a lot...

Usually what heats the phone is excessive data nework usage, 4K Camera, or high graphic games. But I think recent software updates fixes some of the overheating isuues. What firmware version you're running?

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Learner
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Excuse me but what is firmware ?

Where i can find it ?

Thanks

Learner
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

My firmware is .200 ! 

Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Did you wipe your phone after you updated? I'd suggest that you do a PC Companion phone repair, this will do a clean installation of the latest firmware and will also wipe your internal memory. Back up your data before you proceed.

Open PC companion -> Support zone -> Phone/tablet software update -> Repair my phone/tablet (blue link style). Follow the steps given, do not connect your phone until prompted to press volume down while plugging USB cable.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Learner
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Thaks for your answer.

I'll try tomorrow. I hope my phone will be better...

Learner
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Hello,

I made handling you have told me.

My phone heats less but still gets hot quickly ... What can i do please ?

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

It is normal operation.  The phone uses the casing as a heat sink.  There are sensors in it to monitor the battery and CPU temperature.  If levels that might damage the hardware are reaching you will notice that the phones performance is degraded to let it cool.  

Unless the phone is getting too warm for you to comfortably hold it, I do not think there is anthing to be concerned about.  

I use the Folding @ Home app while charging, that generates loads of heat but I can see it has the thermal cutoffs in it.  As the software was engineered by Sony for their phones, I assume it is setup to behave in a way that will not damage them.  

TLDR; If phone is too hot to hold, maybe there is a problem.  If phone gets hot while it is idle and not in a pocket, maybe there is a problem.  If phone gets warm while you use it, that is normal.  

Learner
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Hello,

I have noted your comments. I returned the phone to Sony, there 2 days.

The phone gets warm when I use it and this after 10 minutes. That's how quickly it gets hot surprises me. I do not find it normal and so I returned at Sony ...