account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sound wandering towards right when phone gets hot

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Sound wandering towards right when phone gets hot

I just got a Z3+ and discovered that as it heats up with use, the top/left speaker lowers in volume substantially, making the sound appear mostly from the right.

This happens when playing YouTube videos as well as The Simpsons: Tapped Out.

Is this normal for the Z3+?

I managed to reduce the issue a bit by enabling performance reduction in the stamina settings. Also, blowing gently on the back of the phone to help disperse the heat from the back helped.

Seriously... are the thermal problems with the Z3+ *this* bad? Killing the sound while watching a few minutes of video?
6 REPLIES 6
Emperor
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sound wandering towards right when phone gets hot

@Zacabeb

Just to be certain that its an issue, could you test it with the music app?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Genius
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Hi Zacabeb

It is normal for a device to heat up if you have been on a phone call, playing games or browsing the internet for an extended period of time. 

Could you try booting the phone in safe mode to see whether the issue persists then? Keep us updated. 

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

I have tested the issue with both the Music app and the speaker tests in the service menu, and it is consistent. When the phone is warm, the sound from the top speaker lowers. As it cools down, the sound gradually restores itself to normal volume.
Sage
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Yet another significant problem caused by the SD810 chipset overheating. Sony badly need to sort these issues out, even if it means underclocking the CPU. My wife has complained bitterly about being able to take only a few photos (nothing more than that) before the phone overheats and the camera turns off. I am starting to think that Sony have no intention of acknowledging or sorting this problem out - if so, then this phone is not fit for purpose and I fear that I will be returning our two Z3+ on that basis. 

So, please can someone from Sony acknowledge the overheating problem on here and give any sort of undertaking that this is being looked at and that a solution is likely to be forthcoming. 

Moderators and Senior Forum members - please do NOT tell us to ring Sony Support - the first line support deny there is any problem, from other postings.

One time poster
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

I agree, serious HARDWARE problems with my Z3+.
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

The problem with sound seems to have diminished for some reason.

My guess has been that the overheating protection in the speaker amplifier for the main/left speaker has been triggered. Why the problem is less now than it was out-of-the-box two days ago is a mystery. The phone still gets as hot. Why the amp for the secondary/right speaker was unaffected is also a mystery, since they both probably sit on the motherboard (though maybe the secondary/right amp IC sits farther away from the Firebreathingdragon SoC).

But it could be psychoacoustic adaptation as well, since it seems the frequency response is affected. Midrange sounds shifted more than upper bass.

This is weird.