account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony Z1 Compact... why is the camera so poor? Comparison shots within.

Adept
Message 201 of 381
Message 201 of 381

Re: Sony Z1 Compact... why is the camera so poor? Comparison shots within.

That's right. You have to be about 2 meters away from the object you wan't to shoot but I don't know what the range of the flash is specified to either. If you take a photograph outdoor with a compactcamera outside of the flash range you will get a black picture because of lower iso setting. Sony's phone boost the iso higher so you still can take a picture but you will get some light from the flash because it's so close to the sensor. I would like to know the range specified from sony and for everyone out there. STOP taking photos with the flash when you're out of the range because it won't be a good picture.

But the question remains. What range is the flash specified to handle?

Apprentice
Message 202 of 381
Message 202 of 381

Dear friends,

This is an official  (translated to English by me) response from Sony Global technical team that was passed to the local Sony retailer:

After investigating customer complaints regarding flash leakage to captured photos in Z1 compact, it was found that there are no hardware problems of any kind, and the "problem" is caused mainly by holding the device in the wrong way during photo shooting, but there are two additional causes that will be reviewed below (and again, not hardware related).  

How you should instruct the customer:

1. the device should be held correctly to avoid influence of one of the fingers on the photo taken and picture quality, and is described in the slide below (which basically says that the fingers shouldn't be near the flash led or the lens). 

2. clean the lens at the back of the device and try to take the photo again in the same conditions.

3. make sure that the cover/case in the back of the device isn't affecting the photo quality - try to shoot with and without the cover.

I told them this doesn't explain the colors of the flash leakage, and there is no response concerning the image quality without flash, and the focus problems in video capture.. (I would expect them to say there is a firmware update on the way..)

Face with Steam from NoseWorried Face

Regular
Message 203 of 381
Message 203 of 381

Thanks for that Spongebob.   It sounds like Sony aren't a...

Thanks for that Spongebob.

It sounds like Sony aren't addressing the real problem/s.

I was so keen on this phone, but i'll be looking for something else now. Shame.

Adept
Message 204 of 381
Message 204 of 381

Thank you Spongebob for this information. COuld you please tell me if they tests YOUR phone and if yes did you try to take picture AFTER them response? is it still affected by flash bleed when you take a picture in a dark room?

I was looking for a reliable device that can substitute my BELOVED Xperia Arc S (android 2.3.4) that i use for my job...and this phone seemed to be a good deal..

IP55/58 it's a great feature as i often have to work in rainy condition, 2GBRam wow!, dual core wow!, 20Mpx camera ...(hmm..this may be useful for my maintenance work..)

After less than a month reading this offical forum, i discovered that after (generally) 2 weeks of use for a 500€ phone i MAY occour  into:

- yellow hint display (...but..hey..it happens)

- difficulty in waking up the phone (...hmm..need to restart or hard reset)

- battery drains (...not good..need to restart..repair...what else..)

- vibrating continuously  8...need to restart...repair..)

- proximity fail

- camera fail (...i do not accept that Sony communication without an official A/B test comparison between on original white/lime phone and one without back panel)

- the possibility of bad voice call quality (...hmm...)

I'm a great Sony fan but it is going to be hard belive that this device is "The best of Sony in a compact waterproof* smartphone"...but maybe the best has yet to come.. :smileysmileywink:

One time poster
Message 205 of 381
Message 205 of 381

Same here, i was going to get this phone as well but before i was going to order it, i did read a lot of news and test reports about the phone and all of them said its a great phone but unfortunately with a camera bug.

One site did even test the phone in all 4 colors and did show the worshipful results. (4 Times the same picture in a different color)

So i decided to wait for a sony statement or at least for a fix of this bug, but the only thing what happend were more unhappy customers in a lot of forums.

When i did ask the sony support, they told me that there are no known bugs about this phone, even when i told them that there are a several hundreds of people with this problem....

So i think ill stop wasting my time with waiting for a fix of this bug and get an other phone by a company which cares about their customers.

Enthusiast
Message 206 of 381
Message 206 of 381

i also have this bug. 

Actually, everyone has this bug, but its only just under some certain circustant that you can reproduce this bug, (superior auto+ flash+ objects far away, or night sky)

they wont fix this. its a hardware problem, not fixable trough sw update

shame on you sony, cant believe this passes que quality test.

more here:

http://www.inside-handy.de/news/30509-serienproblem-wahrscheinlich-sony-z1-compact-blitz-bug-bei-far...

Enthusiast
Message 207 of 381
Message 207 of 381

You guys, might check my manual fix for the bleed:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2671795

Regular
Message 208 of 381
Message 208 of 381

Re: Sony Z1 Compact... why is the camera so poor?

Regarding the light leakage/bleed problem, can users please tell me if their Z1 Compact has a tempered glass back plate, or a plastic one?

On the Clove website where you can buy this phone, it states at the very bottom:-

"N.B. The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact was originally marketed throughout January 2014 as being manufactured with a tempered glass back plate. Since initial communication, Sony have made the decision to manufacture the Z1 Compact with a plastic backplate and tempered glass only on the front screen"

http://www.clove.co.uk/sony-xperia-z1-compact

Just wondering if this problem has been solved with the new plastic back plate...?

Adept
Message 209 of 381
Message 209 of 381

Why would someone want to use the flash in a scene like that are they expecting the flash to iluminate the whole building. 

Flash is used only in specific scenes indoors. I have a HTC one and it dose exacly the same thing when using the flash outdoors. The camera pushes ISO to the highest level thats why you get that blue haze, try using iso 100-200 and you will see how clean the picture is. One thing i do agree is that the noise level on this camera is way to high.

Highlighted
Adept
Message 210 of 381
Message 210 of 381

Thank you Profiler! Smart solution for the black back panel! Obrigado Winking Face