account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Sony Xperia Z1 - Water has entered my phone

Adept
Message 1 of 40
Message 1 of 40

Sony Xperia Z1 - Water has entered my phone

Hello,

Did anyone experience using a normal water tap at your kitchen and wash it for a minute with all flaps tightly closed and within an hour, you will see moisture inside your camera glass and your phone went dead. It is a new phone which I just bought for few days and never expect it went dead in this way. The flaps indicator are all white and did not change into any other colors.

I have send it back to Sony Service Center and still waiting for the verdict on how they are going to handle my case over here. 

What do they normally do? Will they replace with a new phone if it is factory defective or they are going to fix the factory defective phone which Ihave just bought for few days and throw it back to me?

39 REPLIES 39
One time poster
Message 2 of 40
Message 2 of 40

Is the Xperia Z1 water resistant feature covered under warranty?

Hi,

What if I dipped my Xperia Z1 within the mentioned limit (1 m and for 10 min) and water leaked into the phone, will it be covered under warranty?

Regards,

Adept
Message 3 of 40
Message 3 of 40

Re: Is the Xperia Z1 water resistant feature covered under warranty?

check this out. We can complain to consumer association and sue Sony for selling defective unit and if they ask the customer to bear with the defective unit which they will repair it for you. It is like selling you with full price for a defective item.

Including test results IPX8 - which allow submerge into water. 
http://www.sonymobile.com/my/legal/testres...mera-waterproof

Page 119 -120 stated below from Sony. 

Your device is waterproof and dust resistant in compliance with the Ingress

Protection ratings IP55 and IP58 (see details below). These ratings mean that your

device is dust resistant and is protected against low pressure water stream as well as

against the effects of submersion for 30 minutes in fresh (non-saline) water up to 1.5

metres deep. You can therefore use the device in dusty environments, when your

fingers are wet, and in extreme weather conditions, for example, when it’s snowing or

raining, or when humidity levels are high. See the table below for more details.

The IPX5 and IPX8 ratings are based on tests lasting 30 minutes in water depths of 1.5 metres.
Go to www.sonymobile.com/testresults for more information.

Here is the manual guide for Xperia Z1.
http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/09/14/xperi...-now-available/

Adept
Message 4 of 40
Message 4 of 40

Sony Xperia Z1 - Defective Unit

04-Dec-2013 - Bought Sony Xperia Z1 

11-Dec-2013 - Wash with normal pressure water tap for less than a minute. All the flaps are closed tightly and after 30 minutes, the phone went dead and unable to start. All flaps indicator are remain as white and the phone has never drop or flawless exterior.

11-Dec-2013 - Send in to Sony Authorized Service Center at The Curve, Mutiara Damansara,Malaysia. All flaps indicator checked are in white. Suspected leakage at the glass area.

12-Dec-2013 - Call up Sony Service Center (Singapore), customer service representative insisted a repair to be carry out on the phone. I have request for new replacement subject to consumer fairness as a factory defective unit are being sold to a consumer.

Request information from Sony Customer Service from Singapore. I was told they didnt receive it 

from posting to their website as below here

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/country/en_MY/

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please provide the following information:

Corporate Registered Address :

1)Sony Mobiles Legal Department

2)Sony Mobiles Malaysia 

3)Sony Mobiles Singapore 

4)Sony Mobiles, Headquarters

5)Sony Mobile Customer Services/Consumer

6) Sony Corporation Chief Operating Officer (CEO)

Mr. Kazuo Hirai contact mailing address 

Please provide the following information for Sony Mobile Representative person name and contact information. 

1)Sony Mobiles Legal Department

2)Sony Mobiles Malaysia 

3)Sony Mobiles Singapore 

4)Sony Mobiles, Headquarters 

5)Sony Mobile Customer Services/Consumer

The above information is only use for legal action. 

Thank you

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 5 of 40
Message 5 of 40

Re: Sony Xperia Z1 - DEFECTIVE UNIT WATER DAMAGED

Hey guys, I have faced the same issue with my Z1. I got from Bell on a two year term. Worst decision of my life. Never going back to Sony or Bell. Sony and Bell, both advertise the phone being waterproof and encourage you in their ads to take it under water and do photography. I call it a huge fraud and a way to dupe customers of their money giving them a sub standard product. Before buying the phone I did a lot of research on the phone's waterproof capabilities and after I bought the phone, the first thing I did was read the manual of the phone to see the waterproof conditions, which clearly state that the phone is waterPROOF not RESISTANT, under fresh water, with the flaps all closed upto 1.5 meters for 30 mins. Now, you would wanna believe that what they say in their manual is the truth. But no! That perhaps my worst adventure with a gadget. I took the phone into a fresh water lake and < 1.5 m ( I can't swim, so...)... took some photos, all happy. But little did I know that after sometime, its gonna start giving problems. I faced the problems in the following sequence. On getting back home after a few hours, the speaker phone got messed up. The sound reduced drastically. The hardware camera button stopped functioning. I switched off the phone and kept it aside for 8-10 hours, thinking it'll be okay by the next day. But no!! It kept getting worst and worst. It kept functioning in the state it was (speaker and camera button messes up) for 1 day. The second day I noticed some condensation on inside of the camera lens! Next thing I notice after a few hours I notice is a small black spot coming up on the lower right corner of the screen. The blotch kept getting bigger and bigger. I swithced off the phone for another day. Next day the screen is totally gone - no display whatsoever. However the digitizer seemed to work as touching the screen produced audible sounds from the messed up speaker. This only made me make one conclusion about the phone that the flaps were not 100% sealed and water seeped in through those.

On contacting Bell and Sony about the phone's condition, I didn't get a suitable answer from any of those. Both deny to take any responsibility for the damage. Bell Customer service people told me that their repair center says the water went in because the flaps weren't closed ( NOW HOW THE **bleep** DO I PROVE TO THEM THAT THE FLAPS WERE CLOSED, I MADE SURE THAT THEY WERE CLOSED BEFORE I TOOK IT UNDER WATER). I am so stressed because of this situation. I no longer have any trust in any of these companies - Sony or Bell and will recommend everyone to stay away from these people. Kindly let me know what can I do in such a situation?

Message 6 of 40
Message 6 of 40

Do you still have the phone? as behind each flap is a water detection strip (these should be white if dry), if these are still white then you have proof that all your flaps were closed.

If they are not white then indeed the flaps were not sealed and water has got in.

One time poster
Message 7 of 40
Message 7 of 40

Hi ricky, I've got the exact same problem as yours!

I went for a swim yesterday, and took pictures with my z1. I'm 200% sure that I've seal the flaps because my friends even reminded me about it the moment before I bring my phone in the water. The pool was 2m but I didn't bring my phone to the bottom. Before this, I've brought my phone to the same pool and it all went good. Nothing happened. But this time, things went wrong. When I finished swimming it's still working. But when I got home, the screen blinked and I noticed there were water vapours in the lens.

so I switched off the phone, and put the phone in front of a fan in a hope to save it. minutes later, it can be switched on and I was able to use it until night. But I noticed the camera app keep on starting on its own, so I disabled camera app. And also there was water patches on the lcd, and it got bigger and bigger until night, and th screen blinked again, then it went dark. But it's still operating because my notifications led light was functioning and also touching the screen produced audible sound like yours. 

i'm thinking of bringing my phone to the service centre, but is it under their warranty? **bleep** la, they claimed it to be water proof and things. Why is it happening??? I mean like Rm 2400 is not cheap papers.. I did nothing wrong and SONY **bleep** if they make me pays for it. 

One time poster
Message 8 of 40
Message 8 of 40

Hi All, 

I am from South Africa but same issue here!

What was the outcome? 

I feel so cheated;. Waterproof phone, please! 

Genius
Message 9 of 40
Message 9 of 40

couple of points worth noting

if water has got inside from somewhere apart from the flaps then the water indicators could become red from water inside the phone

I noticed on my Z1 that the USB flap seemed like it wasn't sealing completely, it was sitting up very slightly when I passed my finger across it, upon close inspection of the flap there was a little fleck or particle resting on the rubber seal - once removed with an air duster the flap sealed perfectly

so be careful  

One time poster
Message 10 of 40
Message 10 of 40

Re: Sony Xperia Z1 - Water has entered my phone

Hi. I bought an xperia z1 phone too on Feb 2014. I even purchased the magnetic docking charger, so as not to spoil the USB flap with wear and tear. I was very confident with my phone, being water resistant. Yesterday, i put it to a test and used it under water for only <10 min and about 1-2 feet water deep, basically a children's pool. I was pretty sure all the flaps were tightly closed. However, after showing my sister the videos and how awesome the phone were, i noticed an unusual loud speaker issue. I cant hear the sound properly. It was too low. Ok, i thought it was a normal issue after getting your phone dipped under water. Also, it was a bit heating up. I was already worried this time. I shutted the phone off. Then the next day, condensation appeared on the cam lens. After few min, it disappered. I learned that condensation reemerges whenever i use the cam app. Now, it tried turning my phone on and i faced another issue. I can see some water leak from the LCD just along the headset jack. What is this? In my point of view, Sony should not be advertising something that is not true. I got the phone under a 2-year contract from Singtel, Singapore. This Wed, I will be going back there from vacation and I hope Sony can resolve this issue.