account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Sony Xperia Z1 Poor Camera Performance and Flash Bleed

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Sony Xperia Z1 Poor Camera Performance and Flash Bleed

Greeting all,

I am an owner of a Sony Xperia Z1, model number C6903. I bought the device with the sole intention of providing me with a decent camera. However, after a month, I am rather underwhelmed by its performance. Overall, I believe it is a great device, with its achilles heel being the camera.

Another issue is flash bleed. From what I perceive, the glass back of the handset allows for total internal reflection to take place, and make its way towards the camera lens. Whilst I understand no software modification will ever help, but is there any way I can solve this issue?

I have provided some samples. Compared to my old Sony Ericsson Xperia Play R800i, the photos turn out to be grainy, noisy, and with blurred/jagged edges, even when used outdoors. 

The same problem persists even when Superior Auto is used. I have completed a software repair through PC Companion, but so far there is no improvement. 

Sony, please advise us Xperia Z1 users on how we can rectify this problem. Considering the fact that the 5 megapixel shooter of a midrange device could outsmart the camera of a high end device is a shame.

Finally, if there are any Xperia Arc, Play, S, Arc S, or Ray users, I would be grateful if you guys could also share some low light photos shot using your handset to ease comparison.

Many thanks

.DSC_0123.JPG

Notice the luminous noise around the wing, and engines. No post processing software was used to touch up this portrait. More samples available upon request.

"Sony Bravia Engine is to Xperia owners what VTEC is to Honda Civic owners"
5 REPLIES 5
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Sony Xperia Z1 Poor Camera Performance

DSC_0123.JPG

Notice noise close to gear, and in fan.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

DSC_0057.JPG

Another picture shot in lowlight. Notice lens flare.

Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

This "flash bleed" you mentioned is not caused by the glass back of the phone, I owned a Z1 before my current Z3 and I had this bleed sometimes but it was caused most probably by one or more of the following reasons:

- Phone cases: the main reason I had this bleed. If you have any installed please remove it and try without it.

- Backside protectors: If you have a film placed on the back side also try without it, especially if it's adhered partially or fully on the lens.

- Dust / fingerprints: easily can cause this flare effect, if the dust is un-cleanable then it might be under the lens and you'll need to contact a Local support center for this.

- Your own finger: the lens is excentric on all Xperia devices, and if you don't hold it with you fingertips you may get flash reflected on your finger if it protrudes too much over the lens while shooting.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

hi ,

after a year of using z1 , the camera is great on sun light auto mode and  flash , when u go to low light or dark room auto mode and flash the camera got crazy 

for me i can get a gradually  white glow starting from the bottom moving up to the center of the picture where it ends , i think 90% the flash is the problem and 10% is the back cover ( because i have a white one )

sometimes a bad picture and there are no details on it 

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Thank you very much for responding. I do not use any cover, or backside adhesive protector. The flash diode and camera lens are completely bare. The whitish glow is also present when the flash is turned OFF:DSC_0092.JPG

Another camera bug that leeched into devices announced after the NXT series would be blurred, and out of focus images shot in complete darkness, as well as severe lens flare:

DSC_0633.JPG

This picture was shot using Superior Auto mode.

Honestly, I am pretty satisfied with the Xperia Z1. It seems Sony has finally designed a device with a display decent enough to compete with those found in their 2011 flagships like the Arc, and Neo. Honestly, the camera was performance suffered after their draw with Ericsson.