account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony Xperia P and Xperia U PDF...

Visitor
Message 11 of 19
Message 11 of 19

Re: Sony Xperia P and Xperia U PDF...

For me the main driving points are

1.  Excellent sound

2.  Excellent camera

3.  Excellent display with good durability [mineral glass/gorilla glass/xxx]

4.  Excellent battery life

5.  Additonal storage via SD

6.  HD screen

7.  Fast enough [speed/RAM] that i don't have to wait a several seconds when switching apps

8.  It should have great graphics while playing some games, occasional though that may be

9.  Good accessories, e.g.  LiveDock, LiveSound, Smartwatch, Xperia Tags etc

10. GREAT DESIGN and Material, not some ubiquituous slab.

If Sony can deliver these with a single 600 MHz Processor, 128 MB RAM, 1000 mAh, etc, Great!! But that is not reality.

If they have five models at least the flagship should score well on most points else it is no flagship. The rest may score well on few points and the low end can just be average on all points. Nobody expects the whole nine yards for $200.

for example,

How can I be happy with my flagship sony device, the arc, if it takes 5 seconds swithcing from browser to home screen, running a few widgets in the background???

How can I be happy when it has devloped cracks around certain places for no reason?

How can I be happy when the pictures are pixelated when zoomed because of overcompression?

How can I be happy when I load up a page with some flash content and the browser takes it own time to response to my interaction

How can I be happy when I open a pdf and perform zooming operations and then I have to wait a several seconds just to see if that was the page I want

How can I be happy when the audio chirps on PowerAmp just because the screen went to sleep.

When you turn to the next guy flaunting his shiny and snappy iPhony, I felt ... I don't know, but I don't like what I felt.

Thats is all fine if it is 2009, But it was 2011. The technology was there .

I am not saying that the new flagship is bad on all points but sony could do better on a lot of them. If everybody could why not Sony. Sony is not doing charity, we have been paying for our devices, since our 256-colors T68i. What does Sony stand to gain by being oblivious to what its customers want?

Visitor
Message 12 of 19
Message 12 of 19

I don't think most people use their phones only for texting, calling, or facebooking. Otherwise what is the point of Android Market? Why pdf support? why office suite? why need for speed? why flash compatible browser? why exchange support? why 1080p video? why HD screen???

Most of these things require a lot of the points that I mentioned above.

e.g. a 12 MP camera gives around 6 MB images with optimal compression, and ca 80 MB to 140 MB 1080p HD video per minute  depending upon the scene. Add to that your Music, nobody is listening to 128 kbps VBR audio these days. Its mostly 320 kbps audio. Is there enough space for your media or do you need to take a laptop on your bag to a party to keep downloading the videos without emptying your music.

e.g How about some browsing, Youtube only does not render well on a browser on the flagship. forget about snappy pinch to zoom.

e.g games .... Angry birds plays well, fine and great... but what about Black Pegasus and thousand others???

It is all fine if these are for a low end phone but for a "flagship" ??

Emperor
Message 13 of 19
Message 13 of 19

I would say

1. Multitask, homescreen becomes unresponsive, crashes, takes too long to switch between apps, if an app its too heavy it'll be closed even if I want to keep using it, this hasn't happen with the galaxy nexus or even the iCrap, now that's sad, yeah they are dual core but even with a single core Samsung this doesn't happen or the iCrap 3GS.
  2. Camera, the over-compression its a HUGE issue, I take a LOT of pictures everyday, there's a horrible lag to check the pix and vids I took, even with QuickPic and other apps.
  3. battery life, I'm a heavy user, but it last no more than 8hrs w/o wifi, bluetooth, brightness 50%, bravia engine off, xloud off, gps on just on H with great coverage auto sync off and background data off.
  4. reliability (it sucks that I have to wait so long to make a phonecall or send a sms or just to check the picture I just took, I have a class 10 16GB SD card and it takes forever with Xperias but not with Samsungs phones)
  5. lifespam of the phone (I need to know how long the company will support the phone, so far the nexus devices are great on this department, and yet again iCrap products have a longer lifespam than Sony)
  6. if I pay for the flagship of a company I want it to have the same or greater hardware goodies as other flagships, that is if this phone is at the same price range or higher, it doesn't make sense to be paying extra just for the name if the name has some meaning in other branches but not mobile (like PlayStation, Bravia TVs, Alpha/Nex/cybershot, etc) but are YET to show it on their mobiles.

like winterstars said, its horrible that I have to wait so long to switch between apps, or just to open up a heavy app or game takes too long, Ihave to constantly delete all SMS/MMS so I can have an ok messaging performance, I close all the apps when I'm done using them (press the Back button until I exit the app), is it me or it takes too long for the widget menu to pop up once you either long press -> widget or menu -> widget, with me takes up to 10 seconds, this has being an issue since I bought it, even Play, and X10 have a horrible lag, yes even after updating and not a single app installed from the market it has a horrible lag, etc etc

2012 will be quite competitive and this will continue growing, so if SE can't deliver this year then they might move away from Android and use their PSVita's OS, since they seemed that they want to use on their mobile phones. I need to play with the new Quad and Dual cores and the SUP xperias and then decide but that'll be complicated here in the US.

I still don't understand how Sony want to be the #1 android company if they aren't matching other companies software and hardware wise or what a #1 company should do, PUSHING technology, that's one of the few things I respect from apple, that sometimes they push or pushed technology, they haven't so far but I have a feeling they will do something huge for the new iCrap 5. I won't buy an iCrap but I'm considering other Android manufacturers away from SONY if they have a better value/$

I wouldn't mind if Sony lend me/us some of their new phones to play with for a day or couple of days, I'm sure we'll be objective and write about it here, real customers

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 14 of 19
Message 14 of 19

I agree, just for a simple SMS I need to delete messages to actually see the letter getting displayed as I type as against two seconds later. It frustrates me so much, and when I delete it takes some time and I end up deleting extra text. I did throw my phone twice because of this. When you have a bad day and the phone piles it up on you ... mehhhhh!!!

Rookie
Message 15 of 19
Message 15 of 19

Can the XPERIA P change the transparent bar color like the XPERIA U?

Emperor
Message 16 of 19
Message 16 of 19

yeah, its horrible

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 17 of 19
Message 17 of 19

haha :smileygrin:

Do you have any vid :smileygrin:

p/s: I'm going to get one (P or S) when it's avaiable Smiling Face with Horns

Emperor
Message 18 of 19
Message 18 of 19

watch the webcast or look on youtube, but that horrible bar its for notifications, it will change colors as you watch pictures and the antenna goes there too

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-p/gallery/videos/

The real question is, what's on the bottom rectangle? is it even needed?

Highlighted
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 19 of 19
Message 19 of 19

show off as usual.. but this time they chose horrible colors... yellow? pink ? got they look ugly

a royal blue would have been better...