account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Sola Purchase Conclusion?

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Sola Purchase Conclusion?

Was looking to buy this phone earlier before I stumbled upon this forum. And thank God I did.
So from I have read, there are huge issues with network connectivity and battery life.
However, everyone seems to say that the issues are firmware related and not because of the hardware. (this gave me hope!)
Now, if Sony gets it right, then all these problems can be fixed with the ICS update that is coming soon, right?
So as of this moment, it would be safer to wait for the update (and see if it fixes the major bugs) before buying it?

I'm stopping my hunt for a cellphone until after the ICS update, am I being too hopeful?
I was really drawn to the size and apperance of this mid-ranged Android phone and I would have snatched it up had it not been for these suicidal issues.

Xperia Sola. YES/NO?

9 REPLIES 9
One time poster
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Sola Purchase Conclusion?

Crystalj, Its obviously no. If you still consider buying this phone then u r ending up with a brick in ur hand coz we all are.. Lots of bugs and issues. All that sony cares about is about its marketing strategies on these good for nothing phones. They are not concentrating on releasing any updates or caring about customer issues. We are fed up asking questions without any answers. There are a lot of other options to buy phones which are very much better than this brick.

Its major usp is u cant make calls, receive calls, should be in the charger plug all the time, when listening to music if u get to receive a call then u wont be able to answer it, phone hangs a lot, heats up a lot, nothing is up to the mark.

Hope you understand and consider buying an alternate phone.

One time poster
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

I am really happy with my sola Slightly smiling Face. Have no major problems yet. I dont even experience the network issue. But the network issue is more of a firmware bug which will be fixed eventually (maybe in a couple of weeks). Other than that, it delivers the performance.You can always take backups and try out other custom roms on Xda forums which are often more stable Winking Face. For me only drawback being ICS,  for which everyone is waiting a long time.

Thats just my point of view.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

If they are not able to solve existing issues and give proper service to existing customers...how can they do it in future...?

One time poster
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

I suggest you at least wait until the new firmware is released. Then read these forums again and see if it repairs the phone and what problems still exist. In my case i just have the issue with the flickering brightness. Not a really big deal compared to what others are experiencing Slightly smiling Face  But i still don't find it normal.

One time poster
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

having only the batter issues and phone slows down esp when playing memory intensive games like temple run which i believe is normal. takea a bit of time for the ram to auto free

maybe with ICS most problems shud go.

network issue is not being faced for quite a no of days ..

One time poster
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Currently: NO!

I loved the look and size of this phone, this is the reason I bought it.

I had to buy a new phone and couldn't suspend the decission, till ICS would have been rolled out for this device.

You should wait till ICS is out and if Sony keeps their promise to make floating touch available systemwide.

And, of course, fix the bugs (Battery/Network/...)

Finally I'm not happy with my decission and would love to go back some weeks and not buy it.

For less than this money I could have bought the LG Prada. It gets ICS now and does not suffer these problems. The design is clear and i like it.

But I have to life now, not in the past, with my X10 mini pro, my Sola is just used as paper weight.

One time poster
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

If you expect ICS to fix evrything then you are too hopeful. Read the 2011 Xperia forums to find all the problems their ICS update created.

On the other hand I've had no network problems and the battery life is fine with the .564 GB software. The Sola is a good phone for the price so buy one now.

One time poster
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

No, don't buy this phone now. It's a month that we are waiting for an update to fix all the bugs of the last update. ICS? JB? We still don't have a working gb...

I have to often reboot the phone, last time about an hour ago: i was listening to music, received a call, i couldn't answer and then music wouldn't play again->reboot.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

As you can see there are tons of problems with this phone so think well before making any decision, in my opinion no it's not worth it because there are so many other choices better than Sola.