account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Shatterproof film replacement

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 42
Message 1 of 42

Shatterproof film replacement

Is it possible to have the pre-applied 'shatterproof' screen protector replaced on the Z1? Mine is a bit scratched up and I would like to have a replacement for it.

I know that you can remove it and get any standard screen protector, but that means that I'll lose my Sony logo (and the screen protector may be of a lesser quality).

Can I get the original OEM screen protector myself, or can Sony replace it for me in some way?

41 REPLIES 41
Message 2 of 42
Message 2 of 42

Re: Shatterproof film replacement

Have it replaced at a sony service or store so you do not have problems afterwards:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 42
Message 3 of 42

The antishatter film can unfortunately not be replaced. The service location need to replace the entire display in this case.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 4 of 42
Message 4 of 42

Thanks for your answers. Having the complete display replaced seems a bit excessive, as there is nothing wrong it. I was hoping for an alternative sulotion.

I think I'll have to live with the scratches then.

Adviser
Message 5 of 42
Message 5 of 42

are you serious sony ?

you put customers in a deep gulch...

you just care about customers at all in fact, you make money, and after, nothing, customers, you have got a bad screen, now you deal with it

Talent
Message 6 of 42
Message 6 of 42

you can't be serious

how the does a new film get placed on a new touchscreen panel?

you can remove the asf. you can put a new asf on a new touchpanel...

but you can't replace an asf...? you have to replace the entire display+touchpanel assembly?

Talent
Message 7 of 42
Message 7 of 42

Sounds to like typical "We have your money - so go away" approach by Sony.  Why put it on in the first place? The Z2 hasnt got it.....

Sony = compldetely useless money grabbing toerags...

Adviser
Message 8 of 42
Message 8 of 42

last edited 2 hours ago by MOD alexdon

we call that CENSURE

Talent
Message 9 of 42
Message 9 of 42

Heres a coversion with Sony "not" customer care....

Rachel: Thank you, how can I help you today?
Alan: I wanted to know if I can get the ASF replaced on the screen...
Rachel: You will need to pay for the whole screen to be replaced
Alan: Why? Its only a bit of plastic film and the Z2 does not have it....
Alan: I have heard that some people have removed it and replaced it with a glass screen protector...(which Sony should have done in the first place...)
Rachel: its fitted onto the glass of the screen, so if you wanted a new phone you would need a new screen
Alan: Its only stuck on...
Rachel: it still would need to have a new screen fitted
Alan: Oh and perhaps its covered by warranty then as the phone is not yet a year old...
Rachel: No you would need to pay to have a screen fitted
Alan: Why? Its part of the phone... and how much would that cost?
Rachel: wanting a new ASF fitted isnt a manufacturing fault, and I dont have any prices as I dont work at the repair centre, you could call them on 01233619320 if you like
Alan: Well, not happy at all... You get a £600 phone and its covered in a piece of cheap plastic tat... Its the last Sony phone that I will get...
Rachel: I do apologise about that, but this is how the process is
Rachel: I am unable to change that
Alan: Wanting a new ASF fitted because it is scratched through normal usage IS a manufacturing fault in my mind...
Alan: Because it is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE...
Rachel: Normal wear and tear or physical damage is not covered under the manufacturing warranty
Alan: Nothing else on the phone is damaged at all.. there are just fine marks on the screen where I have been er.. using the touch screen.. Sony obviously did not think this through properly... the Z2 doesnt use it...
Rachel: All of the information I have is if you want a new ASF a new screen will have to be fitted, do you want that information to send it for repair>
Alan: Why not.. But I will be contacting the BBC's Watchdog about this...
Rachel: That is your choice, however I have explained our procedure
Alan: You have but its not an acceptable solution...
Rachel: I can not change our rules and regulations, this is the service we provide
Alan: Splutter.... Thats not what I call service in any way or form... Replacing a whole screen for a bit of self-adhesive tat? Mmmm sounds like a total rip-off to me...
Rachel: Again that is the service we are offering, I am unable to change that, is there anything else?
Alan: No apart from replacing my Z1 free-of-charge....
Rachel: I am unable to offer that
Alan: Why not? Faulty goods?
Rachel: I am offering you to send the phone to the repair centre to get a screen fitted, the phone is not faulty, it is your choice in wanting a new ASF
Alan: Well, it is because Sony decided to stick a piece of very soft , easy to scratch on top of the screen.. that makes the phone unusable...
Rachel: Again I have explained what we can do about this, there is nothing else I can advise
Alan: As I said earlier, I will never, ever buy another Sony phone after the shoddy service I have got...
Rachel: Thank you for using the Sony Xperia UK Chat support, have a nice day.
Alan: I doubt it...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Inhabitant
Message 10 of 42
Message 10 of 42

About sums it up really