account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Several Questions about Xperia MINI

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Several Questions about Xperia MINI

Hey dudes. I just bought the Xperia Mini with an 16gb micro sd card with it, and have some questions to you guys who may have experience about those events which happened since a few days.

1. Each time I plug my phone to my pc (windows 7, Pentium 4) it restarts, once the OS crushed, the ringtone settings are reset, the applications are all messed up (they start randomly, or enter settings mode).

First, when I checked the forums, i thought it was because of the 16gb sd card, but later i realized that it had nothing to do with it, and that those crashes happened only when plugged to the PC.

When not plugged, the phone works perfectly.

Has anyone experienced this with their phone?

2. Bluetooth is a mess. I paired it with my pc, but then, the phone kept calling last caller ID, each time I tried to transfer a file from my pc to the phone.

Also with bluetooth, I could connect my pc to the phone only as a Media controller, and not as a storage device.

Should I upgrade my PC?

When i paired other devices, the phone responded well, and worked perfectly, so it's obvious that all the problems above are related to windows 7.

3. There is a wrong information about how to reset your phone posted on internet. Beware. DO NOT TRY TO RESET YOUR PHONE BY PRESSING THE WHITE DOT NEAR YOUR BATTERY. Do not trust any phone reset walkthrough going through internet.

Question: why would a dumb-ass post such a stupid info?

Here is the link:

How-to: Reset the X10 mini  se-blog.com - bringing you news, reviews, videos and more from the world...

What works for a reset is this:"pressing the middle button and the power button at the same time for 5 seconds."

4. I downloaded an application called "Talk to Me" cloud. It's a nice app, until it tells you that the Xperia mini doesn't have a voice recognition feature.

I googled a while and saw that it's true. Voice recognition is not included in the mini. (voice dialing)

My question: Is voice recognition "software based" and can it be added with an updated, or by rooting the phone? Or is it a hardware feature, and the mini doesn't have it?

5. I read a lot about rooting my device. I can't download some applications from the android market because of my carrier. (I get the "your carrier doesn't support this application" message).

Would rooting my phone solve this problem? Or does it just help me to uninstall some unwanted, carrier based applications, and that's it?

Also is there a real advantage for rooting the Xperia mini?

And if there is, would I have to root my phone with each upcoming Android Firmware update?

Thanks to anyone for answering my questions.

gg dudes.

5 REPLIES 5
Emperor
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Several Questions about Xperia MINI

5) if you want to root your phone try this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833722

if you want apps2SD check that in the same link

there won't be any more updates for the Xperia Mini, mini pro, x8 only for the X10 and the new xperias

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

regarding deleting unwanted apps from your carrier, the best thing is to flash/install a generic update that way there wont be any carrier logos and/or apps

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=943645

you need to download and install the FlashTool and the firmware

X10 mini pro ftf files
U20i Nordic
U20i UK
U20i Singapore
U20i French
U20i German
U20i NLU20i ITA - Thks to ginoscopesce for this one

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

once you get generic 2.1 try this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009008

so you can get pinch zoom

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

tnx dude, checking right now.

Visitor
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

I can't seem to find a carrier that supports the data on the phone. I have straight talk and can get calls n text but no internet. No one seems to know?