account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen goes black when making calls

Visitor
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Screen goes black when making calls

Every since the latest update my Sony Xperia z ultra screen goes black when making calls. How can this be fixed. Everything else works fine on my phone. I have no screen protector.
8 REPLIES 8
Emperor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Screen goes black when making calls

Settings > about phone > diagnostics > test > test proximity sensor. Also, test it in >>> safe mode

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

I know for a fact it's nothing to do with anything I installed. I rebooted the phone to factory settings so this is not the answer. Nothing wrong with the sensor. It has to do with the new update.
Genius
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Did you perform a factory reset? If the software update is at fault a factory reset may not fix the issue, can you try as uliwooly said in safe mode and eventually trying after a software repair?

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Genius
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Just to clarify, a software repair is more than a factory reset, it erase all previous settings and reinstall a fresh copy of the os that should be, at this point, worry and bug free.

If after a software repair the issue persist then you can contact local support or inform Sony about the issue, they may verify and eventually release a bug fix. 

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Visitor
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

I have done a software repair and it does nothing. Also tested proximity sensors. It passed. It was an update the screwed my phone.
Emperor
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Contact your Local support to get the phone inspected.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

You can do nothing. It's a long time unfixed bug
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

I have this problem on a mates phone, took the back off, and when you gently press down on the motherboard where the sensor is, it works. A hair width too far from the screen with the new software update. So im working on a fix....no apps work, this sensor is either on or off so cant be calibrated, but if I can get the sensor closer to the screen it will work