account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Screen covered with green and blue pixels (visible on dark colors)

Regular
Message 31 of 41
Message 31 of 41

Re: Screen covered with green and blue pixels (visible on dark colors)

So, my tablet (in it's 15 month lifetime) has been with Sony THREE times already.

I've asked about a wider problem and got no answer.

I've asked how long it's been with Sony (it's about 3 months of that time I think) for repair.

and guess what ... today I'm about to call them for a FOURTH time.

That's right ... despite having the screen replaced fully (I waited about 2 months for the parts to become available) the dots ARE BACK.

Apprentice
Message 32 of 41
Message 32 of 41

Wow, so I'm not the only one Slightly frowning Face

I bought the Xperia Z2 Tablet at launch, technically, it still works fine, but I also have these dots. They cover about 15-20% of the screen right in the middle. It's still usable, I don't have the contrast/brightness cranked up too much, but I'm extremely disappointed at Sone esp. after reading how other customers here were treated.

I was considering byuing a new Sony tablet or phone eventually, but with this - no chance in "the opposite of heaven" (because the "H word" which ends with "ell" is apparently censored, wow). If this is how Sony was trying to use the mobile market as a way of getting in a better financial situation, then all I can say - rest in peace, Sony Slightly frowning Face

Apprentice
Message 33 of 41
Message 33 of 41

Can anyone who's affected by this issue please answer this one question:

Do you have and use Sony's magnetic charging doc to charge the tablet?

Rookie
Message 34 of 41
Message 34 of 41

I have this problem and I use the official magnetic dock but I believe it might be the official Sony smart cover. It seems to grip the tablet way too tight and damage the display over time.

Visitor
Message 35 of 41
Message 35 of 41

I have the same problem...i have got enough from sony .i have bought now new device from LG coz i have trid samsung befor and i got problems and now sony im usin now lg...

One time poster
Message 36 of 41
Message 36 of 41

First post here so Hello,

My Xperia Z2 tablet has for the second time got these green & blue pixels to the right of centre. The first time tablet was sent back for repair under warranty. I have an extended warranty so will wait & see if they are gonna repair again.

What annoys me is the fact that Sony reset the tablet & wipe everything off for what reason I don't understand.

I am a Sony man to the core with TV, PS4, Walkman & Speaker Dock as well as phone & tablet but this problem needs Sony's tablet experts on the case because there is obviously a major issue with the screen on the Z2 tablet.

Rant over thanks.

Apprentice
Message 37 of 41
Message 37 of 41

Scotchmist64, please tell me - do you have Sony's charging station/dock? The small stand which you can use to put the tablet on and it will charge?

I have no actual proof, but a suspicion that this could be the source of this issue. The strangest part of it is that these pixels spread which isn't something that could happen just like that or to such huge extend. This, given that I didn't have this problem before I bought the dock, makes me think that maybe there are some badly shielded wires going from the charging point at the bottom to the battery or the screen itself is badly isolated from the paths on the board connecting the charging point and this somehow interferes with the screen.

Again, this is just my crazy unproven theory, but it would explain the spreading of this and the fact that it happens to people even after repair. I've never used any protective covers and never pushed the screen with any excessive force so if force can be excluded as a potential cause of such issue, then the only other way (that I know of) for a pixel to get "stuck" in the "on" state permanently is due to a problem with the pixel's charge.

I wish some Sony technician could come in here and provide some info reg. what they think is causing this as without that there's just no way I'd ever buy another Sony mobile product and it's a shame as for me these are the best Android products out there. Right now I've switched to an iPad as I don't want a different Android tablet and I can't trust Sony anymore Slightly frowning Face

------EDIT-----

For some reason I need to have a working Android device for testing, but if I'd ever get a different one, I'll try to take the Z2 tablet apart just out of curiosity and see what's going on there and what is right behind the area where the pixels die. If someone already done that - I'd love to hear what you found.

Demigod
Message 38 of 41
Message 38 of 41

I do use Sony magnetic cable but don't use charging dock.
I use official Sony cover.

Pixels appeared in less than a year. Now (3 months to end of warranty) they are slightly visible in normal brightness and very annoying in full brightness.

I don't plan taking device to SC looking and other user stories and inspection payment policy.
Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 39 of 41
Message 39 of 41

i had the issue 2 times, the second time i i stayed on a custom rom and they didn't apear but i also stoped used the dock to charge

Message 40 of 41
Message 40 of 41

Strange, my post keeps disappearing on this thread for some reason.

Bought the z2 tablet 2 years ago in UK, as pre order with 3 year warrantee. A few months later yellow discoloration and dead pixels developed despite using official case.

A few similar reports were around at the time but variable success with repairs so I held off long enough to see enough reports that this could be considered a manufacturing problem rather than "physical damage" and for them to start manufacturing better screens that could then be used in repairs.

After 2 years more and more dead pixels developed, so decided to send it in for repair under the 3 year extended warranty. Just received a receipt and request to call them for a "chargeable" repair. I'm expecting a similar conversation to what's been posted on the forum.

Given the numerous stories and repeat dead pixels, it's not worthwhile paying to have another screen that will breakdown. £36 to get it back from repair centre.

Really disappointed, had bought the noise cancelation earphones which broke quick too, but was still considering upgrading to z4 tablet in future, but with a growing and cementing reputation for poor customer service and build quality, I won't be buying anymore Sony products. It's a shame as I thought that they would concentrate on their existing mobile products after selling off their Viao line, but it seems that the Sony aren't going to learn from their customer feedback. Though i do respect that they do have a Sony Community and forum in the first place for us to share concerns, Why even bother to have it, if they aren't going to address issues?

This discolouration and dead pixel problem seems to have the largest volume of complaints on this forum... .

I contacted the repair centre , and was informed that the charge receipt letter had been sent in error, and that there was infact no charge, and my tablet was with the repair technician already.

However Unfortunately I infact later received an e-mail 4 days later saying that there will be a charge as damage was due to "excessive pressure"

again poor customer service, mixed messages, won't be buying anymore products from Sony.