account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

SONY please fix all faulty back glass plates (backs coming loose and lifting up).

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 55
Message 1 of 55

SONY please fix all faulty back glass plates (backs coming loose and lifting up).

It has come to our awareness that a great deal of Xperia Z phones are affected with a problem with the back glass plate.

It comes unglued in the top left corner (near the camera) and thus compromising the phone's water resistance.

There's an article on Xperiablog about this:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/08/05/some-xperia-z-owners-complain-of-loose-back-panels-water-resist...

And a thread on the XDA forums:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2304680

A user on XDA has put together a poll regarding this issue in order to gather as much information as possible about how widespread a problem this is. The poll has now been up for a couple of days and has already accumulated an alarming number of phones with faulty back plates.

I ask users to please fill out the form, no matter if your back plate is loose or not.

Here's the poll:

http://goo.gl/FTzl34

And here are it's results:

http://goo.gl/78iuEU

I (among many others) urge Sony to please acknowledge this problem and to recall all affected phones (even those whose back plates haven't come loose yet) and to glue the back plates on properly. Free of charge, of course.

54 REPLIES 54
One time poster
Message 2 of 55
Message 2 of 55

Re: SONY please fix all faulty back glass plates.

I´m one of the "many others"... Sony, please fix this problem!!!

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 3 of 55
Message 3 of 55

My back plate has also come loose.
I've just sent my phone to the repair shop and I'm assuming that this will be covered by the warranty!

I talked to the local Sony support team and asked them about this and they said they had never heard of this...

Lying to your customers is not what I call good customer service!

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 55
Message 4 of 55

All companies do this, I'm afraid. Unless there's an official statement about a problem, then the problem does not exist. As I recall, a certain unnamed fruit company excels at this. That said, my computer sports that same unnamed fruit on its casing...

But Sony has made recalls before, and should do so now again. There was an Xperia tablet that got recalled for almost the same reason:

http://www.webpronews.com/sony-issues-recall-of-new-xperia-tablet-after-defect-was-found-2012-10

Adept
Message 5 of 55
Message 5 of 55

Out of curiosity, what is the build date of the affected handsets. Mine is 2013/week 18. No issues (yet)...

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 55
Message 6 of 55

You can read build dates in the poll results, to which there is a link in the first post of this thread. W18 phones seem to be affected too, but to a lesser extent.

Adept
Message 7 of 55
Message 7 of 55

Checked the results, and it is shocking ! Pretty much every date is effected and not just the earlier ones :/ I presume that the adhesive used to stick those backplates down become lifted up when exposed to higher temperatures ?

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 55
Message 8 of 55

That's the general assumption, yes. That, and the fact that there are parts behind the back plate that push the plate outward (springy contacts for NFC aerial etc). So when the glue melts from CPU heat, the contacts push the plate open in that particular corner.

One time poster
Message 9 of 55
Message 9 of 55

I too am affected by this problem, which is obviously a case of bad engineering.

Having the back lifted can cause the phone not to be waterproof anymore. There's another effect not many people think about though. The border around the phone is supposed to stick out, so that the phone drops on the sturdy edge, instead of the glass plate. Now that the glass is lifted, chances are that the glass breaks, might the phone be dropped!

One time poster
Message 10 of 55
Message 10 of 55

I also have the problem. Sony please fix it!!!

(2013 week 18)