account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

S/Mime mail client digital certificate failure

Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

S/Mime mail client digital certificate failure

How can I get support?

I boought a Xperia Z2 device this week. So I had to setup the mail client from Sony, newest version. I use an  IMAP enabled mail account.

After automatic setup, everthing worked fine.

So next step was, to implement my S/MIME certificate for encription. I manually created an e-mail certificate (from Comodo) last year. It's active.  Sending via my HTC phone M8 with S/MIME is no problem. My Mail Provider 'Posteo.de' does support S/MIME. Somehow it does not work on my Z2. I place the .pfx certificate file to my secondary SD card (/sdcard1). Then I am following step by step.

Unbenannt-1.jpg

I tried several things :

- Re-installa certifcates

- Try installing certificate from the Settings >> Security screens

- Deleted account on the phone, cleaned data

- Initiated account again

9 REPLIES 9
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: S/Mime mail client digital certificate failure

Can you please check the below to see if the certificate shows as installed:

To work with CA certificates

1. From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  2. Find and tap Settings > Security > Trusted credentials.
  • The System tab displays certificate authority (CA) certificates that are permanently installed in the ROM of your phone.
  • The User tab displays any CA certificates that you have installed yourself, for example, when you were installing a client certificate.  

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

@Sam wrote:

Can you please check the below to see if the certificate shows as installed:

To work with CA certificates

1. From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  2. Find and tap Settings > Security > Trusted credentials.
  • The System tab displays certificate authority (CA) certificates that are permanently installed in the ROM of your phone.
  • The User tab displays any CA certificates that you have installed yourself, for example, when you were installing a client certificate.  

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Thanks for you reply.

• I have done it as you said. Certificates by user are now succesfully installed. See picture below:

Screenshot_2014-07-09-19-09-36.png

• So went to the mail client, and did the same steps as written in my first post. Still the same problem is shown:

Unbenannt-1.jpg

Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Try these steps to enable the instlalledcertificate, you shouldn't need to reinstall it after this it should just work:

1. To examine the details of CA certificate, tap its name. A scrolling screen displays the details.
  2. To remove or disable a CA certificate, scroll down to the bottom of the details screen and tap either Disable for system certificates or Remove for user certificates. When you disable a system CA certificate, the button at the bottom of its details screen changes to Enable, so you can enable the certificate again if necessary. When you remove a user-installed CA certificate, it is gone permanently and must be re-installed if you want it back.
  3. Tap OK

sony_logo126x24.gif

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for your feedback. But all necessary certificates are enabled. System and User certificates.
Already tried to disable them, then reboot, and enable again. Didn't work so far. Still no recognition of it in the mail client.
Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Ok, just to troubleshoot this further you may want to look at installing an application like: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.djigzo.android.application&hl=en

sony_logo126x24.gif

Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

@Sam wrote:

Ok, just to troubleshoot this further you may want to look at installing an application like: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.djigzo.android.application&hl=en

sony_logo126x24.gif

I tried it.

With this App it's "working". But not comfortable.

- It's not directly implementet into the mail client.

Sending an composing with encryption is only possible via App.

- If I recieve an encrypted mail, I open the mail in normal mail client.

It shows in the header a red lock symbol, and the hint: "the mail could not be decrypted".

So I have to manually open the attached smime.p7m file via the app you offered.

It's very sad, that a brandnew flagship model like the Xperia Z2 cannot handle it directly via client! Other phone brands with integrated mail clients are doing there job pretty well.

Any other solutions?

Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Can you please provide the below via a PM so I can get this escalated for you:

IMEI:

Android Version:

Build Number:

sony_logo126x24.gif

Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Here an example how it looks like:

Screenshot_2014-07-12-01-21-39.jpg

Actually I'm on biz travel in switzerland. So by now I am using my business phone Xperia T, but forcing the same problem with certificate failure. Mail client version is the same as on my Z2. Would be very comfortable to get it work on my trip. 

At this moment I just have your required informations for the Xperia T with me. But should be very similar.

I did send you the required device information via PN.

Apprentice
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Hello,

I use Comodo personal email signing and crypting certificates for 3 imap accounts, on iOS and (Mac OS, Thunderbird).

However, I can't make it on Xperia M4 Aqual dual, Android 5.0, software up to date 2016 May 15, with standard email client. The problems are as described above.

Fortunately, I confirm the workaround with CipherMail.  Thank you !

Nevertheless, the standard email client deserves to be fixed, as it is overall a nice piece of software.