account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Ridicoulous Battery life 2 weeks old Xperia Z

One time poster
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Ridicoulous Battery life 2 weeks old Xperia Z

Dear all, apologies if the thread has already been discussed but I could not find any satisfying solution to my problem.

I bought an Xperia Z from Vodafone 2 weeks ago and I have a serious problem of battery life.

I have barely Barely installed any apps (whatsapp, fb, maps, temple run and british airways.)

My total battery life in standby is 15 hours. Wifi and bt are switched off. I have on purpose left the phone untouched for a day and battery died in less than 20 hours. Sync on gmail is disabled and I only receive updates from FB and Whatsapp.

I am struggling to understand why my “Android OS” gets more than 25% of resources. To me it looks like its a software bug, I have already factory reset it and day 1 full battery life, day 2 1.5 days day 3 15 hours, independently from the apps installed....please guys help, I’m getting annoyed!! Thanks a million!

J

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Ridicoulous Battery life 2 weeks old Xperia Z

Screenshot_2013-04-11-10-41-54-1.png

Demigod
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Before you return the back to the shop, update your phone software. Even if the version is the same. Why do it even if you have already did a factory rest? Because factory reset does not reinstall your android OS. It simply erase all user data/partition. Which means that if the problem is due to Android OS(file corruption, etc), then even if u do a factory reset 100 times, it won't do any good. Run your Sony PC Companion on your PC and go to "Support Zone" and just follow the instructions to update your phone software..

before that, try to disable FB and see if there's any difference. And are you refering to FB on Socialife or the FB apps?

Did you enable Stamina mode? Just add whatsapp into the list so that it stil run when stamina mode is active.

good luck!

One time poster
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

thanks for the answer. I already updated software but waiting for android 4.2 to be released. FB is the app not socialife and in stamina mode it gives me longer life but since I dont switch the screen on often, I would receive updates very seldomly. I just think this is ridicoulous that a new phone needs to be constantly reset just to work fine...

Genius
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

read my post on the link below - you might understand what you are looking

and 3hrs for 8% battery if you continue with this it equates to approx 37hrs left on battery

your Android os has used 38% of 8% battery drain over 3hrs which equals about 1.2% of total battery usage per hour and it's probably doing something in response to something you have installed - but no matter it's not huge

look at this link and my post

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/124788?tstart=0

One time poster
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

thanks geoff. the picture I uploaded is not indicative. to give you an idea after 4H30min with 2 mins phone call and 1 email sent I lost 34% of battery, bringing the total standy time from 15 to 10 hours.

thi said, I think that your comment on the battery usage is incorrect. regardless of the quantity of battery life consumed, And OS has used 38% of battery life. surely based on 8% the total of battery life used is 1.2% but you need to consider only what has been used, not what life is reamaining. if I left the phone until it dies, and OS would still be 38% of a fully discharged battery.

anyway I find it not acceptable that a unused phone can get drained in a matter of hours especially when brand new. will the 4.2 android update address these issues?

One time poster
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Screenshot_2013-04-11-12-48-27[1].pngthis should be a little bit more relevant

Genius
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

omething must be casing the OS to stay active like that, a rogue app perhaps or something that is not being erased by a repair process, first thing is always to uninstall the anti virus software

if i leave my phone overnight it will lose about 2-3% of the battery

something weird going on if what you are showing and saying is accurate

while this is going on have checked running apps - also remove sim card and sd memory and see if it's the same