account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Prximity sensor, Light sensor and backlight issues

One time poster
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Prximity sensor, Light sensor and backlight issues

I've had the x3 compact for 8 months now and 3 problems have all come along at once

A backlight remains on while the phone is in standby, so there is a light from the scrren which should be black.

The proximity sensor no longer works so when I call someone multiple things are pressed on screen.

The light sensor is not detecting anything so the auto brightness is not working.

7 REPLIES 7
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Prximity sensor, Light sensor and backlight issues

Hi Yoso9,

Welcome to the community,

Can you please advise if these issues still occur in Safemofe?

Safemode instructions

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

The issues still persist in safe mode
Learner
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Mass Malfunctions

All of a sudden, the proximity sensor has broken, the adaptive brightness doesn't work, i can't connect to wifi and no apps on the SD card are showing up on the phone. I have tried reseting the phone with no luck. Do I definatley need a repair or are these software issues that can be fixed?

Highlighted
Genius
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Re: Mass Malfunctions

Hi YuriDavy

I advise running a software repair on your handset as that is very likely to smoothen out the operating system for you by removing & re-installing that operating system.

To run a software repair, first download PC Companion. After installing this click Start under Backup & restore and follow the on screen instructions to back up data. Once completed, you can begin the software repair. At this stage make sure the phone's off & not connected to the PC.  

Running the software repair on PC Companion:

1. Select Start under Support Zone.
2. Phone Software Update.
3. Start.
4. Repair Phone
5. Continue
6. Accept data removal
7. Next
8. Wait for prepare
9. Select Phone
10. Follow the connection steps

Keep us updated, I do hope this resolves the issue for you Slightly smiling Face

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

I have tried this with no luck at all, now all my apps which I saved have to be redownloaded, even though they were saved to the sd card and I can't download them because I cant connect to wifi.

Genius
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

YuriDavy, you can log into Play Store with the same google account you used to download your apps and download them again easily, you can do this over Mobile Data however that is strange you still can't connect to Wi-Fi. Try the following and verify whether the problem was solved after each method:

• Don’t cover the Wi-Fi® antenna area of your device.
  • Check you have the correct password
  • Restart the router, check the router is Wi-Fi certified
  • Turn off Wi-Fi®. Disable Scanning always available in Wi-Fi® settings. Turn on Wi-Fi® again. 
  • Make sure that the Wi-Fi® standard 802.11b/g/n is enabled on the Access Point. For instructions, refer to the Access Point user guide.
  • Make sure that both the device and the router are using the latest software versions.
    Using the browser in you device, go to www.sonymobile.com/global-en/software/ and check for the latest software updates.
    To update the router software, contact the router manufacturer to get detailed instructions.
  • Check the router settings using your computer. If you are not sure how to change the settings, check the user guide for the router or contact the router manufacturer.
  • Check that your Access Point/router is not set to use channel 12 or 13. These channels are not supported in all markets. Change the channel to any number between 1 and 11 on the AP/router.
  • Add your device's MAC address to the MAC filtering table of the Wi-Fi® router. Some routers require your MAC address. For instructions on how to add the MAC address to the MAC filtering table of the router, check the user guide for the router or contact your router manufacturer.
  • Try using a static IP address.

If you have tried the steps above & found they haven't helped, you could try running the repair again - otherwise I would advise contacting Sony Xperia Customer Care to arrange sending the handset into an authorized repairer so it can be assessed under the terms of warranty for you.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Has your phone experienced any water damage?

A Z3 of mine had all of the issues you describe after getting wet a few months ago. Auto-rotate stopped working, adaptive brightness didn't work, the proximity sensor was dead, and the backlight would remain on constantly unless I disabled adaptive brightness in the display settings. The phone otherwise appeared to function normally.